Re: RRC Sudden loss of drive - Update- still need ideas?

In spite of Simon Isaacs raising my hopes I did remove the plate behind the end of the mainshaft on the transfer box . I found that with both boxes in gear when I turned the parking brake drum the shaft went round inside the gear with hardly any resistance.

As most people pointed out it is definitly the splines gone.

I have investigated the availability of the shaft and gear and I think I would manage the transfer box but I the LT77 would be another matter.

Ideally I would get reconditioned units from Ashcrofts but I have retired to Ireland so the delivery costs and return of old units are not inconsiderable. I am allowed limited funds to spend on doing up my "toy".

I appreciate the offer from Dave R I have not had any success on the internet for sourcing an LT77 and LT230T in Ireland but if anyone knows any different please let me know. Alternatively if anyone knows of such units available in proximity to Fishguard in West Wales and could be taken to the ferry I could pop over on the ferry with a sack truck.

All help appreciated John

RRC with a 200tdi

Reply to
Persheen

Persheen uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Contact Legs at Oswetry - they do repair kits.

Get it shipped over and either get a reputable engineer / mechanic type to sort it or prepare to become a instant gearbox rebuilder.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:01:04 -0000, "Persheen" enlightened us thusly:

I can see if the rangie box I didn't fit to my disco is still in the local garage...

it had OK splines, as I recall it. Reason I didn't fit it is the fact that the disco gear lever is not only different on the outside of the box. However, since you want it for an RRC, that shouldn't be a problem. About

60-odd miles from Fishguard.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just so happens i live in West Wales, about 10 miles from Fishguard. Scary!

Dave

By the way, i am only assuming that the splines are fine on this box as there is not the usual slack you get in RR / disco transmissions. If would have to take it to check it was ok first. It might be worth reconsidering rebuilding your box yourself using a mainshaft kit. I've done two now and found that there's usually next to no wear on the gears themselves unless they've been really really abused and then all it need is the bearings / seals and gaskets etc. its worth doing yourself and not as scary as it seems. Alot of satisfcation to do it too. Just an idea!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

On or around Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:08:13 -0800 (PST), Dave R enlightened us thusly:

It's not hard to check the condition of the splines, just unbolt the cover on the top/rear of the T-box, and wiggle the output with it in a low gear. If the gear/shaft don't move more or less as one, it's dodgy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Dave, that certainly is unexpected and scary. I am about 30miles from Rosslare. Pity the water is in the way.

I certainly would not mind having a go as I am careful and methodical and have tackled most things though never a gearbox. I was concerned about getting things like 'endfloat' correct as I don't have a dial guage. Though I could get one. It is about the only tool that I don't have. The gearbox itself is very smooth with no problems except a slight baulk going from 1st to 2nd when cold.

I would certainly like to get everything as reliable as possible as I don't want to be doing this again in the near future. This outfit also has to last me.

My return email addr is valid Dave as long as the obvious is changed and I would welcome a note to explore the options further.

John

Reply to
Persheen

On a related matter, how much backlash into the T box is acceptable ? I'm close to 30 degrees on my 101

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:31:52 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

count the gears and multiply by a small amount each.

I'd reckon 30 degrees is excessive for engine-to-wheel, meself, even on a landy. It's way too much for a single pair of gears.

Reply to
Austin Shackles