Re: Steering Relay (Bolt Threads Underneath)

Hi,

> > Under the steering relay at the front of my chassis I've managed to > bodge some of the threaded holes. Don't ask how I've done it but they're > probably beyond repair or enlargement. This means that I can only secure > 3/4 of the oil seal bolts and 2/4 of flange plate bolts. Both items are > tight and secure but is it safe and would it pass an MOT? > > The relay is rusted into the chassis (I've gone to great lengths to > try and remove it) so replacement isn't an option. The flange plate > bolts are on opposite sides so that's a bit of security. My only real > option seems to be replacing the whole front of the chassis but that's > pricey and I'm not a very good welder. I could also glue the bolt ends > on but that seems irresponsible. > > I've been loosing sleep about it all week because it's the first thing > I haven't been able to do properly. Can anyone offer me advice or help > me find qualified opinion? > > -- > Thanks, > Alex Kemp (loose \lessspam-\ for email)

Has your attempt so far included a sledge hammer , lots of plus gas the day before and some brute force?

My last one cost around £25 inc vat, not even worth playing with assuming you eventually get it out.

They are like alot of old parts , it only takes a small amount of movement to get them going all the way.

If that doesn't work you could always replace the front chassis section. Alot of work but far less lethal than faulty steering.

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Hi Lee_D,

That was my method but I still couldn't budge it. I've got the front axle off so I didn't want the chassis to drop off it's supports. I might chock it up better and have another go. If I were able to remove it is the hole inside likely to be lined? (if not I could put some nuts on the other side of the flange plate.

Reply to
Alex Kemp

The hole in the Chassis which goes vertical is lined if my memory served me right... I recall I did my relay with the wheels on and at the time thinking to myself, "Would you buy a car from this man :0)" as I gave it a good beating that echo'd across the estate.

The difference in the steering was amazing, but I did replace the track rod ends at the same time (all 6). There definately used to be play in the relay shaft that should not have been there which added to the see-saw steering effect.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee_D,

Your positive advice game me the motivation to spend a few more nights beating the hell out of my relay. It was a real toughie but thankfully it eventually budged this afternoon! The steering was always poor so I'll be glad to replace it - is there still somewhere that sells them for £25 inc?

With the relay out and the axle/suspension off I've got great access to the flange plate bolt holes. Two sheered bolts won't come out (even with threaded extractor) so I'll thread three new holes around them. That'll give a total of five well-spaced flange plate bolts which should be safe by anyone's standards. Thanks :-)

Reply to
Alex Kemp

Good work! See I knew you could do it! Try Paddocks for a replacement they seem fair on prices. But be warned if for any reason you decide to pull the old one to bits they have large springs within I'm led to believe which will go off like a mini hand grenade if you undo them.

I just replaced it...at that price (was 3 years ago) it was rude not too.

Regards

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Hi,

Yeah I've seen the spring and special tool in the repair operation manual. It looks both dangerous and fidelly so I'm having nothing to do with it :-) I'm continually ordering from Paddocks so I'll just stick it in the next one.

If you're interested in my progress (and seeing the seemingly innocent old steering relay) then I'm starting to put some photos up at

Alex Kemp

That all looks SOOOOOoooo familiar...glad I'm at the other end now but dare say it's only a matter of time :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D