Re: Synthetic engine oils and 300 TDi

Hi all,

> > Tomorrow, the Disco goes to the shop for a new timing belt and MOT. I'm > thinking synthetic engine oils, now. Is this a good idea? Synthetic oils > being much thinner... Anybody done this to a 300 TDi engine? And did it > go horribly wrong? What about gaskets and seals?

In general most people wouldn't recommend synthetic oils in a LR engine of this age, as they tend to leak out rather quickly. Although you can get synthetics which are just as thick as mineral oils, they are prone to something called "capillary creep", which means they look for ways to escape your engine, without paying much attention to their viscosity. The engine was designed for mineral oil, so I'd keep using normal oil and make sure you change it regularly.

David.

Reply to
David French

This is good advice. Will do. Thanks