Re: TD5 Rev Limits

But if the question is - "where do I stop pushing and change up" - then I

> wouldn't wait until the rev limiter kicks in. Sure, you won't do too much > damage, but it's more something you get a feel for driving the car, than > something you should check out from the book. Unless for some reason you > can't hear the engine. > > David > >

Couldn't agree more - often peak power/torque is developed before the red line - you can easily feel when the engine is past it's best - the Vectra

2.2dti (brill for a diesel) runs out of puff at about 3700rpm - quite a bit before the red line - no point in going higher!
Reply to
vince

On or around Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:30:06 +0000 (UTC), "Gazz" enlightened us thusly:

however, a TD5 although turbo-diesel, doesn't have a mechanical injection pump, it's electronically controlled, and fly-by-wire. This means it has a rev limiter.

but for the purpose of "when to change up", then you change up when the acceleration starts to slack off, or when you'll get good acceleration in the higher gear, which has to be determined by experience. Once you know where, you can do it from the speedo, e.g. by saying change up into 2nd at about 20 or somesuch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles