Rear axle clank when changing direction between forward and reverse (Discovery 2)

Hi,

I have a Discovery Series 2 TD5. When I change direction between forward and reverse there is a clank from the rear axle. It is definitely not a sticking brake pad. It seems to be coming from the O/S wheel.

Any clues please?

Reply to
Paul Frost

so Paul Frost was, like...

Auto or manual?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Any, all, or none of the following: Worn bushes. Loose radius arm. Wheel nuts loose. Wheel bearing. Worn 1/2 shaft. Hamster with a hammer.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Does the Disco II still have a ball joint at the top of the rear axle casing? If yes, add that to the list of possibles.

Reply to
Dougal

Bush at front or back of the radius rod? JD

Reply to
JD

Quite possibly looseness in the splines. LR issued a Tech Service Bulleting on this for the P38A/DII. The cure is to Loctite the hub to the axle. My P38a is doing on the left rear (is that the O/S?)

Bulletin N o : 0001 CDS. ref: L8431bu Range Rover Discovery Series II Issue: 2 Date: 26.04.2000 AFFECTED RANGE: All Range Rover up to VIN: YA 434637 YA 435750 All Discovery II (System 2) up to VIN: Introduced at Job 1 YA 260194 All Discovery II (System 1) in VIN range: Introduced at XA 900000 to XA

907212

PROBLEM: CLICKING NOISE FROM REAR AXLE When pulling away from rest in either direction, a clicking noise may be heard from the rear of the vehicle. CAUSE: Excessive spline movement on either: a) The rear axle shaft to hub spline, (Range Rover). b) The rear differential flange to pinion spline, (Range Rover and Discovery II). ACTION: At the above VINs, the application of Loctite to the above spline locations was introduced during manufacture. · In case of customer complaint on a vehicle within the affected range, apply Loctite

648 to the axle shaft or pinion spline as detailed below. NOTE: Loctite 640, previously specified on Issue I of this bulletin, has been cancelled for use on vehicles in service due to its extended cure time. · When reassembling rear hubs or rear diff flanges for any other reason, regardless of VIN, apply Loctite 648 to splines as detailed below. NOTE:Loctite has been applied to Discovery II rear hub splines since the introduction of the model. Should a Discovery II rear hub be dismantled for any reason, regardless of VIN, Loctite 648 should be used on reassembly as detailed below.

and so on..

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8 1985 110 County 3.5 Litre V8

Reply to
p38arover