Rear Axle oil leek question

My 1987 90 has been leaking oil from the rear axle ends and when I previously asked this question it was suggested it was the outer oil seal that had gone probably due to pressure build-up inside the axle caused by a blocked breather. Anyway, I eventually got one hub off (took all afternoon!) only to find the seals look OK and wouldn't cause the oil leek anyway (the axle is obviously after 22S08284B) only a leek of hub grease. As there does not appear to be a seal on the actual drive shaft what stops oil leaking out of one of these axles/diffs, the end cap? the ones on the

90 are a bit old and loose it's true. I have changed the breather for a new one BTW, the old one was only partly blocked.
Reply to
Bob Hobden

The only thing stopping a leak in this case is, in fact, the hub cap. JD

Reply to
JD

The only thing stopping a leak in this case is, in fact, the hub cap. JD

Which is listed in the parts book as an "oil seal".

Gordon

Reply to
gbubb

JD wrote

Wish I'd realised, I'd have saved myself some money and a lot of grief and time.

BTW is the "Parts Book" available on-line anywhere? I always find their exploded views more use than the Workshop Manual which I have already downloaded.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I'm not familiar with this beast, but if the driving member at the outer end of the halfshaft (it's the spline here that allows oil to pass) has a groove on the outside it may be possible to fit an O-ring which will seal against the inside of the hub cap.

There was a complete 110 1987 Parts Book around at one time - someone may have a link to it.

Reply to
Dougal

"Dougal" wrote >>>Gordon wrote

The Hub Cap actually has a raised inner lip which "clips" into a groove, the new one is a tight fit too on the tapered end of the hub so it's easy to see it will work as an effective oil seal. Provided it's not old, cracked and loose that is.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

or got a bit knocked out of it where some eeejit reversed crooked off a bridging ramp. don't ask..

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Thanks, Bob. Learnt something today!

Reply to
Dougal

I've been meaning to correct the spelling in the subject line! Done it at last.

Reply to
Dougal

They're designed to last about two years when exposed to sunlight - keeps the company going selling them. JD

Reply to
JD

So what happens if you paint them? They won't see the sun then, mind you, the sun in your part of the world is a bit different from ours. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Blame it on the fact we have two allotments. It's the tools for these we use the 90 to transport, impossible to keep tools down there, they would walk in hours/days.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Dougal" wrote >

£7.10 for two from our local LR dealer, probably a lot cheaper from Paddocks etc.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Sat, 14 May 2005 22:43:57 +0100, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

The solvents in the paint probably have the same effect as the sun.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All I need now is a 90 or 110 to which to fit them. Alternatively dream up a way of modifying the RR to allow their use.

Reply to
Dougal

Have you ever tried to get paint to stick to plastic? - except when you don't want it to. Might be worth trying though. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 14 May 2005 23:08:43 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

later RRs have them anyway, on the front at least.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bought some special silver spray paint for plastic to do my S111 radiator grill and it's lasted years. Lots of cars now have plastic panels so it should be easily available at any Motor Factor.

Reply to
Bob Hobden