Rear axle on new model 110 Defenders

Hi,

I have a 99 model 110 TD5 with a Salisbury rear axle. The differential is about to give out and I need to replace it.

I was wondering if the axle fitted to the new model Defender 110's is compatible and or better?

Does anyone know what this type of axle is, how good they are and will it retro fit a 99 Defender Td5??

thanks for any info.

cheers

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Let me know when you swap it, I would like to buy the old worn out axle off you.

Ta, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Up until 2A622424 all the 110 axles used the same part numbers, a lot of them - depending on ABS or not etc, the numers being 38S, 39S, 60S,

61S, 62S and 63S. From that VIN number they go to 10S, 12S, 13S and 14S with or without ABS.

What the differences are, who knows, but certainly some of the other bits don't change (radius arms for one), but without seeing one or spending hours going through the parts book I'd hazzard a guess that they may well fit.

Its a starting point.....

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

The latest rear axles will fit all the mounting points you have, but your prop will need lengthening as the new diff has a shorter nose. It is a Dana axle, and is reported to be as strong if not more so than a Salisbury. Also will give you a little more ground clearance.

All the best,

Giles

Reply to
giles evans

When did the axle change happen? Does this mean that we can now fit those clear diff covers that are available for Dana axles? :)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod