Rear door lock D1

My 1997 Disco 1 has a boot full of really heavy and nasty stuff, and the door (tailgate) lock has just stopped working. It won't open from inside or out and the lock tabs seem to work OK. Using the key makes no difference. Reading various messages on Google seems to suggest that squirting WD40 through the hole under the LR plastic logo might free it without access and dismantling inside the car. The WD40 is in the boot under some of the junk and family tension involving a funeral doesn't make it easy to work in the path at the moment. So, is flooding it with WD40 the best bet and is there a best direction to squirt towards? I assume I should aim towards the edge of the door.

Reply to
Bill

Once the logo's been removed you'll see enough to know where to point it

- anywhere and everywhere on the joints of the linkage.

Reply to
Dougal

As Dougal says .. pretty obvious when the badge is off, it just prises out.

If it still doesn't work then it's possible that it's one of the lock springs, though when this goes, it usually doesn't open from outside but will from inside .. or vice-versa. Do a search on ebay there's loads, but they are handed so make sure you get the right spring.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In message , Paul - xxx writes

Thanks to Paul and Dougal.

I just prised the oval off, masked off the area below around the number plate and squirted like mad. It all now seems to work fine and it was all achieved with little fuss, which was the crucial thing.

Reply to
Bill

Success! That's nice.

When all's calmed down, go back in and apply some thicker lubrication to the moving parts. Repeat every so often. I must remember to do mine again sometime.

Reply to
Dougal

LOL, yeah ... funny how you know how to do something so easy, yet somehow just don't get round tuits that fit .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx