Rear Door / Wheel Carrier - HELP?

Hi all. My Td5 90 has a 'Mantec' swing away spare wheel carrier on back. I have just fitted two Exmoor trim forward facing seats with seatbelts. I have now come across a problem (that SWMBO) has noticed. When carrying passengers in rear two seats, they CANNOT get out, unless someone opens the wheel carrier from outside. OK in most cases, but worrying in an emergency. I have thought about using a Bowden cable, but not exactly sure how to do this, and hoped that 'SOMEONE' on afl *MAY* have come across this before, and thought of an easy solution (please don't say remove wheel carrier!).

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Not sure it helps... but the "good quality" wheel carriers these days move with the door rather than seperate from the door, that includes the current Mantech one IIRC.

The ones that are seperate from the door aren't very popular these days, as you can't open the door from the inside... :-)

My suggestion would be to find someone with a pickup who wants a wheel carrier, sell them yours and buy a different one.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Dave W.

I will check it out. This one was on when i bought it, and i was led to believe it was a *mantec* but will check. Thanks for that. Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Sounds like a Pivlock one - they have a seperate lever that unlocks the frame so it can swing out. It's not attached to the door, just rests against it. I have one on the lightweight.

If so then as the man said, sell it to someone with a pickup or canvas top and buy the Mantec one.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

I'd lay bets that you've got a Pivlock, not a Mantec. The Pivlock really isn't suitable for carrying passengers in the back. Flog it and buy a Mantec (or something similar).

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Tis true - unfortunately :-( I have a PIVLOCK carrier, sob sob. little lever at bottom to open it. I have checked out the Mantec ones, but they say that you utilise the holes for the original rear door wheel mounting? Mine does not have any holes?? Anyone suggest what is best line of action? Yes, looks like it will be going - offers anyone?

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Just drill the required holes. They're only for the bolts to fix a plate/bracket to the door. Make sure you paint the exposed aluminium and put some Waxoyl on the back of the plate before you bolt it on which will help to keep water out. They're really not that difficult to fit.

Reply to
Steve Morgan

Ahem...up steps *someone* with a double cab pickup.

If you were going to go down the route of selling it and buying something more suitable to your needs how much would you want for it? as I would be interested.

Reply to
Mark