Rear Heated Window - Defender 90

Hi,

1992 Defender 90 200Tdi Hard Top

My heated rear window isnt working. The relay isnt pulling in to switch on the higher current.

However, manually switching the relay illuminates the light on the dash so that means the high current side is getting a feed, so the problem is with the low current side of the relay.

Using the Haynes manual to trace the low current 12v lead that switches the relay, it appears that the power is getting through the relay and diode and going into the VOLTAGE SENSATIVE SWITCH (as described in Haynes manual), at which point I loose the feed. Again from the Hayens manual it looks like this is a complicated way of earthing the circuit. If I earth the circuit after the diode but before the voltage sensative switch then all works OK.

I am fairly sure that it is this (voltage sensative) switch that is causing my fault.

So:

  1. What is the Voltage Sensative Switch? Some sort of timing device??? It appears to only be used for the rear heater?
  2. Will i do long term damage if i put a permenant earth after the diode but before this box of gubbins? All i can think is that if i forget to switch it off it will either burn out the relay or the heater element on the rear window?

If i need to replace this little box of gubbins, will there be such a thing on other vehicles - Metro, Meastro, Montego's etc that i may find in a local scrap-yard?

If required i can get the Land Rover part number.

thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon K