Rear output shaft oil seal

Hi All,

I'm fairly certain that this is what has gone wrong, as there is oil everywhere rear of the transfer box, apparently flung there by the handbrake drum.

What I can't see is how to change it. I've tried the Haynes manual, but although I can see how to completely strip and rebuild the box, I can't seem to put together the bits for changing the oil seal.

Not only that, I can't get it stripped and then get stuck, because I have to clear the workshop, so I have to be pretty certain of finishing what I start. That means having all the parts at the beginning, and then knowing what to do. Otherwise I'd start pulling bits off to see what I find!

I'm bidding for a LR manual on eBay, as I hope this will be better than the haynes comic, but if anyone has an idiots step by step guide to offer, this idiot would be more than grateful!

Best Regards

MW

Reply to
Mark Williamson

You haven't helped us by not revealing the secret of the model!

You could try here:

or
In most cases, how this seal is installed etc. becomes fairly obvious as you remove parts to reach it.

Reply to
Dougal

DOH!!

It is a 1973 Series III

Interestingly, your reply reached me server before the message i sent. Thanks for the quick response!

MW

Reply to
Mark Williamson

In that case you want:

for the seal - it's under 'speedometer drive housing'. The park brake itself is in:
As someone mentioned in a thread earlier in the week, you don't need to dismantle the entire brake - just unbolt it as an assembly.

Reply to
Dougal

Much obliged to you.

Will let you all know how i get on.