Rear Shocks recommendations

For the Disco 1

Tows quite a bit, as in distance by not frequency. Don't want my fillings knocking out and don't want to pay for a lable.

Do I stick to the OME or should I be looking at something a little more?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:42:03 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

cheap standard ones and replace 'em ever 6 months?

I doubt you'll do a lot better than OME - unless of course that was a type for OEM... Koni used to be reckoned the canine gonads on the damper front.

personally, I've found the elcheapos quite good, provided you don't expect 'em to last very long. But it's a bit like magnecore leads, cost twice as much, last twice as long...

rear springs on disco 1 seem a bit prone to wear out, as well. I found that HD 90 rears worked quite well on mine...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

whoops yes was a type for OEM, well spotted.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I fitted Monroe Gas Dampers to mine and I am still very happy with them a year down the line. I believe they have a 5 year warentee. I would say it depends how much you travel on bad roads, as my understanding is that the gas dampers perform better under high cyclic loading as you would get on a dirt road at some pace.

I know the monroe dampers are consideranly cheaper here than brands like Old Man EMU, Rancho etc. I would imagine Koni's would be in a different price bracket all together.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

fanie uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Good point about the roads, we are mainly main road and country lane with this one PURELY down to having LPG chassis tanks on either side. I did a Greenlane at Easter and scared myself enough never to do one again in the Disco while it had the LPG tanks.

We tow across Europe, around 1600 miles in one holiday I reckon. Odd Country lanes when we visit Ma and Pa.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:11:30 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

OME are good though. quite a few people use 'em.

but since the rear ones especially are easily swapped, it's hardly worth the extra cost, I reckon. Just fit cheapo ones and when you reckon they're starting to feel iffy, get some more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:02:21 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

When I had a side tank on the 110 I took it playing and grounded it quite impressively a few times, it didn't fall off. The tanks are very strong and will stand up to quite a bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I agree, I think it is was Monroe I fitted to the 'ol 90 with bearmachs blue springs, think i got the lot for about =A3180. It got hammered for a few years and were still working really well when I sold it. Thoroughly recommended

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Got Armstrongs off the shelf in the end. They do seem better than the old ones, the old ones fell victim to bush replacement.

My new favourite tool is a Nut splitter... I'm going to try it next time the MOT chap suggests the shock bushes need doing ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I used some real cheapies from Rchard at Beamends on the Disco I and they have lasted very well for over a year and 25,000 miles. Can't get better than that for about 10 quid each in my opinion. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:05:20 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

that's my theory: at that price, you can have new ones every year. and the rear ones especially are easy to change. Front ones can be a pain if the turrets won't come off. Mind, you can, with the saving made on the cheapo dampers, buy some of David "Llama"'s nice open-sided HD turrets, then you never need to undo 'em again. well worth the cost, they are.

Reply to
Austin Shackles