rear sunroof drain

where the f*ck is the other end of it?

one's blocked, hence the inundation. Tried getting a brake cable down it from the top, but it won't go around the first bend. Then (OK, it was dark) tried to see where it comes out at the bottom. I suppose I could try putting water in the other side, see where that exits...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ive a feeling probably the c pillar but ICBW

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:58:13 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

lap of the gods, innit. The front one is OK on mine, and the RHS of the rear one.

Near as I can tell, there are 4 sources of leaks:

1) the rubberoid seal under the glass 2) sealing failure between the surround and the body 3) blocked drain pipe(s) 4) failure of the drain pipe connection on the sunroof body.

the last is a plastic bit siliconed onto the metal sunroof tray (!)

2) is silicone or simialr between the plastic and the roof panel. If you climb up the back bumper you can see the rear roof, check if you can see movement/gap between the roof and the plastic.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 04 Mar 2009 07:40:07 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

more about the sunroof... mostly stopped it leaking now. It did leak a bit the other day but I discovered the rubberoid seal had got itself out of place - ordered some new ones, found 'em on fleabay for about 12 quid a pop.

The current one seems not to be glued to the frame, I wonder if it's meant to be? It displaces very easily. It could of course be that a new one will stay put better.

Having studied the design in far more detail than I consider necessary, it seems that unlike some of the earlier ones, it's only got drains as a precaution against condensation and suchlike. It's not meant to let water in. Some of the tilt/slide ones (the kind that fit flush into a roof aperture) don't have a seal as such, and on them the drains are essential - but those have a much more convincing tray to collect the water.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin,

Both the front and rear sunroofs on my Disco 11 leak through the handle if it rains hard!!! The drains are clear, but water doesn't appear to darin away if the car is on the level. Well that not actually ttue, it does drain away, but not until I turn out of my drive amd then normally all over me.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

Well that's what you get for calling yourself Nemo innit!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:12:54 +0000, nemo2 enlightened us thusly:

yeah, the problem seems to be that the roof is designed to be sealed, so lacks anything credible in the way of a waterproof tray under it, unlike the tilt/slide ones fitted to disco 1 300 TDi models, which are the kind that fit flush into the roof, without a waterproof seal, and have a proper catch tray and drain system.

There seem to be 2 possibilities for the water getting in:

1) poor sealing between the plastic upper tray and the roof panel. I've rectified this on mine. 2) failing rubber seal in the plastic tray, under the glass. I'm waiting for new ones.

Some water will gather around the edge of the glass, in the plastic upper tray, outside the rubber seal. If the seal doesn't seal both against the glass and the tray, this water can get in and sit in the steel under tray and/or soak into the headlining. Because the under tray is inept, it doesn't reliably drain, and can slosh to the middle where the winding mechanism is, and where there's a hole to let it into the car.

If new seals don't fix it, the next try is to take the winding mechanism off and see if the place where it fits can be sealed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles