Recovery Points? Air bags.

Discovery Series II Lucky find on Ebay, I got an alloy bumber/bull bar for AUD$200.00 in good nick. It's off a Disco I but fits reasonably well with some fabricated brackets. When fitting I had a closer look at the 2 tie-down brackets on each of the chassis rails. I was told NOT to recover the vehicle with these as they are only tie-downs for transporting the vehicle and don't have enough strength. They both seem quite strong and robust and are firmly bolted to the chassis. What's the opinion here on these brackets?

ALSO I expected to come across sensors behind the original bumper for the air bags but I see nothing. The two aluminium chassis rail extensions were removed completely for the bull bar. Could these affect the operation of the air bags? By fitting the bull bar, have I prevented the air bags from deploying in any circumstances?

FYI, the bull bar has been fitted directly to the chassis with four HT bolts replacing the original shorter bolts and 12mm thick aluminium plate used as the brackets, cut to shape and drilled as required.

Steve W (in Aus)

Reply to
Steve/Aus

Yes you have interfered with the correct operation of the airbags. You have also broken it's ADR compliance* by doing so - the repercussions should something go wrong may be quite nasty in a legal sense. I'd suggest having a chat to a company like ARB for clarification about the requirements, but the short and simple answer is "it wasn't designed and tested in that application therefore it shouldn't be used".

  • The Aus equivalent to the C&U regs for the Poms amongst us.

Sorry to be negative, but the potential for it all going to shit in some way in future is immense.

Reply to
EMB

Google hasn't turned up much info, but what little I did get suggests that the sensor is inside the ECU and nowhere near the bumper area. Other googling suggests that the sensor works by dislodging a ball bearing from a permanent magnet to trigger the airbags.

If this information is true, then it seems the sensor works by sensing rapid deceleration rather than by sensing impact. If this is the case then retro fitting after market bumpers will not impede the correct operation of the airbags. I don't know if this information is correct, I hoping others with more knowledge will chime in here.

What safety aspect has been taken away seems to be in the aluminium chassis extensions to which the original bumber bar was attached. Looking at the design of these including four stragetically placed dimples on each one suggests they are designed to crush and absorb some of the impact. I might see if it's practical to remount these and remove the other mounting brackets. Steve W (in Aus)

Reply to
Steve/Aus

On or around Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:13:45 GMT, "Steve/Aus" enlightened us thusly:

If there are no sensors in the bumper and if you restore the presumed crushable parts I don't see a major issue, but then I don't know OZ law.

You will need to notify your insurer and will likely have to get it examined by a competent engineer to report on it.

as regards the tie-downs - they're OK for towing on the road, but I wouldn't use them for a high-stress recovery from a stuck position, where they get a lot more load. They're normally held on by one not very large bolt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That might work - and thus restore the correct amount of crush to allow the deceleration sensor (if it is indeed as you suggest) to work as intended. My understanding of airbags in general is that they have several trigger mechanisms and at least 2 must be triggered in order to activate the airbags (eg the deceleration sensor and a crush can in the front bumper mounting).

Reply to
EMB

Neither do I. The other thing to note is the airbag wiring tends to be in it's own orange flexible conduit not just wires in the loom, at least the bits I've ever come across...

Having stiffer bits that original design might not be good for the occupants and may make the airbags discharge at speeds lower than design as well. Stiffer bits > higher decelerations.

Neither do I. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

E> That might work - and thus restore the correct amount of crush to allow E> the deceleration sensor (if it is indeed as you suggest) to work as E> intended. My understanding of airbags in general is that they have E> several trigger mechanisms and at least 2 must be triggered in order to E> activate the airbags (eg the deceleration sensor and a crush can in the E> front bumper mounting).

Land Rover stopped using crush cans a long time ago (95/96 I think) - and moved to a more suitable system for offroad vehicles which means you can whack a tree with your bumper and not have the airbags go off. Mine has a box of crystals under the centre console. When these are agitated by deceleration and shock from *both* chassis rails - the airbags will deploy.

Land Rover have changed it more than once, but they do not have sensors in the bumpers. There is no wiring there for any. You will know if you have the basic crush can system (300 series only) becaus ethere is bright yellow conduit at the front of the engine bay going to the sensors. All Airbag wiring on show (in 300 series Discovery that I have come across) is coloured in this way - as is the big yellow plastic surround on the fuse for the airbag ;-) I guess it is to stop people hacking into it for a feed (!)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Look at your local supplier for "Jate Rings" for a recovery towing point a heavy duty shackle( No pun intended Austin) affair that bolts through the chassis

Derek

Reply to
Derek