red ken, bbc, 4x4.

You're forgiven.

Reply to
William Black

But will it make any difference to the spelling?

I don't think you can realistically call it a 'typo' when around eighty percent of posters on here make that same error, it's bloody annoying.

Sorry for the rant

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Fair point - loose/lose is probably a spelling mistake rather than a typo, and these things do tend to irritate my inner schoolmaster. But I make a conscious effort to ignore them. Usenet's a big place and there's all kinds of people in there, some of them great folks with a lot to offer. Some of them can't spell too well, but it seems a bit churlish to pull people up over something pretty minor.

I had a really big lesson on this, in this very group. When I first started posting here, in about 1999, there was a guy posting here who had dreadful spelling. I had a minor disagreement with him over something, and in my reply I made some sarcastic comment about his inability to use the English language. Someone took me to one side and explained that the guy was dyslexic and had a lot to offer the group but was very embarrassed by his inability to spell. He pointed out that I had made myself look a bigger prick by making fun of the error than the OP had by making it in the first place. He was right, and I felt pretty foolish. I've never done it since, unless to deliberately deflate somebody pompous.

Besides, my spelling is usually pretty good, but I have all kinds of other shortcomings which my good friends in AFL have the courtesy never to point out, and for that I am grateful.

Reply to
Rich B

You're right of course, on all four points, hadn't really thought about it like that, an apology is in order.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

This is getting dangerously harmonious!

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:04:38 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

Bugger that. I reckon we should shoot anyone that puts "break" when they mean "device to slow down the vehicle". On LRs, stopping is sometimes an optional extra, especially 101s going backwards.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Butbutbut

This is a Land Rover, where brake can sometimes mean break, and vice versa. Or verse vicea.

Reply to
Rich B

I see Porsche are challanging the congestion charge rise with a judical review:

Dave Liquorice