Red Ken gone mad?

I am sitting here dealing with a few E-mails with the Tv on in the background and heard the last section of a news report detailing the fact that 'Red (I hate cars) Ken Livingstone' is planning to increase the tax on

4 x 4's in London, whether that is RFL or Congestion charge I dont know as I missed the first part of the report.

His idea is to force drivers to buy small economical vehicles.

BOLLOCKS!

I use my RR as part truck part car....I am a bass player and use it to carry my heavy gear to and from gigs while still having a four door saloon when not in 'truck' mode.................so why oh why should I pay more in London because that idiot simply doesn't like them?????????

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Likely to be congestion charge.

Not entirely stupid, but I know my Land Rover fits the local supermarket's car park bays. If it were set on some measure of size which caught the big "conventional" cars, it wouldn't be outright daft.

That's it. If he was fussing over big cars... No, he's got this fixation on the transmission system.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I agree, the transmission obsession is just intended to appease popular opinions. He should just say that all public school kids must use organised transport such as mini busses rather that mummies luxury car. Or place a blanket surcharge on all cars with a certain footprint or engine size. To be fair though, Ken is not going to take your RR away and crush it. He just wants to make the roads in London a little less hellish. David

Reply to
DavidM

He's got to find my registration number first (notwithstanding my vehicle is easy enough to spot and identify without it)

I reckon if a few people got a few plates made up saying F U KEN and stuck them on when driving into London he might get the message.

Reply to
Larry

"DavidM" wrote .

Firstly where does his proposed legislation leave Audi TT Quatro's, Subaru Inpreza's, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo's etc, etc, all of which are 4x4's.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Dont forget the fiat panda 'sisley'. A hugely expensive to run and a bugger to park because of its er, hugeness!!! lol

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:11:31 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

not to mention all those lowered and pink-painted hairdressers' Vitaras.

and the golf 4motion. and, erm... bugger, I'm sure there are others. Yep. Subaru Justy - 1200cc, 3 cylinders, 4WD. And a Little suzuki - the Ignis.

irresponsible, the lot of 'em.

hmmm. has red ken got an email address?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

/me wonders what Red Ken would think of a 6r4 Metro buzzing through London at max revs all day.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

He's got his approach ALL wrong. If he banned on street parking at ALL times unless on a meter there would be more room for people to travel around. Think about it. How many times have you tried to get down side streets with parking both sides and the cars NEVER move from one week to the next.

Double Yellow lines are the way to go.

Make 2.5% of the parking fine payable in commission to the person reporting parking violations and we will all be squealing on our neighbours.

MAB

Reply to
MAB

That's the only Metro you'd catch me driving :-) A truly mental car, didn't Ford do something similar, the RS200 or something?

Reply to
Simon Barr

If 4x4's are so bad, how about people carriers, american cars, v6's v8's

Personally I think that whoever is pulling Ken's strings over this one was banned from having a landie when they passed their test, and now they are exacting their revenge the only way they know how

"If I can't have one then you can't either"

Si

Reply to
Si K

yep, RS200. They got one of each at Gaydon. The 'super cars' were banned under some regulation cos they were too fast (I think).

Reply to
Richard