Red Ken is gone.

I always liked him. Had a bit of character, and was on the other side of the world too :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

On or around Sat, 03 May 2008 17:03:09 +1000, Duracell Bunny enlightened us thusly:

I reckon if you lived in London you'd be a bit more ambiguous.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Been there, done that. Maggie T drove me to the antipodes in the very early 80's

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

So who has replaced him? Hopefully not that blonde con twonk...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so I'll say nothing. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

The other guy seems to have more character! (speaking as someone who lives nowhere near london and doesnt plan to visit and knows nowt about the actual political implications!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Boris, as far as anyone can work out, didn't actually want to win it.

He was put up because he's the highest profile Tory in the country who isn't in the shadow cabinet.

The last thing a philandering MP with a really good second job as a journalist and the editor of one of the two major political journals in the country needs is a proper job where he's got to be at his desk 'nine to five, Monday to Friday'.

Reply to
William Black

Just shows you how unpopular Red Ken was if Boris could beat him without wanting to.

Reply to
Pete M

Why qualify the term MP with "philandering" - isn't it in the job description ??

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I've known him for over 25 years, some of which whilst living in London.

Don't really care what anyone else thinks, but he always told it as he saw it, and wasn't afraid to make unpopular decisions.

I always prefer people who are straight and honest - whether I agree with them or not - at least you know where they really stand.

Reply to
.mother

Blimey, look who it is ;-) Wotcher.

Yeah but the last year saw a few nasty taints to his honesty with contracts going to mates who didn't seem to be doing anything for the money, so perhaps the power has corrupted him!

Personally I don't like the way the congestion charge was done either, and the function creep he put into it, trying to claim it as an environmental tool (which the LEZ is, and justifiably so).

We'll see how "bojo" gets on.. Thankfully from afar ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 07 May 2008 17:16:17 +0100, .mother enlightened us thusly:

'ello. how's things with you?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unfortunately the PTB here seem to think copying his decisions will be a good idea, but they've omitted to notice the complete lack of sensible public transport. I'm hopeful that his (somewhat unexpected) demise will make them pause for thought.

With that I totally agree.

PS - long time no post. It's good to see you back.

Reply to
EMB

Mother Hi,

if it takes the change of a London Mayor to have you back in the newsgroup I wish they get elected twice a day !!!!!

Red Ken most probably was copying the stupid things Greek politicians have implemented here in Athens. The result was to have more smog, more cars in the center of the town, a more heavy traffic related problem and less effective public transportation in the city.

All those #@$s claiming things about CO2 emissions should take a closer look on what airplanes, factories and wood burning stoves in Africa and Asia emit

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Eh up!

Is this a welcome return, a quick visit or a case of mistaken identity?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

His view is along the lines of 'politics is a dorty business', but my personal opinion is that he lost his grip on it all - just a little, but enough. I don't (personally) think he ever set out to be dishonest - just a little creeping stupidity that comes, probably to all of us, with age.

I reckon it'll be good that the clown will now have to manage what is surely destined to be a massive olympic fiasco - costing all of us dearly.

Reply to
.mother

Not bad. Had enough of landies (well, clubs) for a while. Didn't go anywhere near Grumble since September until Tuesday* - then put new Optima red top in, turned the key - started on second crank. Kind of remembered why I like it, the times we've had in it and the people we've got pissed as a fart with. So, clubs aside, decided to revisit a.f.l and see if anything had changed - thankfully not much has :-)

  • as a consequence of this, I ended up in orspital for a night with a
3rd degree burn...
Reply to
.mother

It's a 'return' - dunno how welcome it'll be, tho'! :-)

Reply to
.mother

Pantelis Hij!

Like I always say - always trust Greeks bearing kind comments ;-)

(Apols to the Bard - but I doubt he ever knew a Greek...)

Reply to
.mother