Remove broken stud in thermostat housing

200TDI Defender engine. Removed 2 of the thermostat housing bolts which were very stiff but the third sheared off. It's sticking out about 2 mm from the top of the thermostat housing base. I've tried drilling it but it is stubbornly resisting my drill bits. Cheap drill bits? Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

I once snapped a bolt off in the timing cover of my V8...

I then snapped a drill bit off in the whole that i drilled - cheap drill bits are dirt!

I then bought a really expensive bit, with a special coating.

Nedless to say it pissed though the broken bit, and then though the remaining stud.

Lesson learnt - dont snap bolts in timing cover, dont use cheap drill bits on important parts!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Also buy a commercial quality "easy out", dont buy an el cheapo as you'll end up having to drill the easy out as well.

Reply to
noonehome

dont use cheap drill bits

Life is too short for cheap tools - but I guess we all do on occasion

Reply to
William Tasso

MIG a nut to the remnants and use that to unwind it.

Reply to
EMB

Tungsten burr?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Possible approach. Bolt the housing on with the two screws that came out.

Pick a drill that closely fits into the third hole at the broken screw. Drill enough to make a centered cone in the broken screw.

Then you might drill out the screw for a tap. Or maybe drill for a helicoil insert. If you drill for an extractor, use a freezing penetrant to break the rust bond. The screw is hard, so you need good drills and a steady hand.

Reply to
ebrownee

I missed any earlier replies along with the original question on this. So don't know if welding a nut or similar onto the remaining stump has been suggested. See.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike