removing 2.25 block without a crane....

Is this possible? I don't have a crane, and am beginning to think about doing a full rebuild on the engine.

If I remove as much as I can with it in the car, how much weight is left? Could a couple of strong six footers manhandle it out on a length of scaffolding and into the back of the pickup?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I know 4 of us lifted a v8 on a scaffold pole rather effortlessly then went to shift a complete 2.25 lump using the same technique.... looked at each other...then hobbled to the nearest chairs.

I'd go for a crane even stripped of the head.

The last 2.25 I had (from percy) a rolled up scaffold boards with the lad who bought it in to the back of his 110. Never again!

Thinking ahead you've got to get it back in eventually, so consider buying a hoist say off eblag, use it then flog it on on eblag after.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Depends how full you want your rebuild to be. You can leave the block in place and remove the head and the sump to replace the pistons/rings.

I suppose that if you were determined you could lift out the gearbox (only takes 2 or 3 strong people and isnt too bad) and take out the crank and bearings with the clock in place?

I remember being called round to a mates house years ago to help lift his 2.25diesel into place. I think it took about 8 people lifting the scaffold bar and a couple to roll the chassis under it. Nobody enjoyed it!

As would I - If you dont want to buy one either find someone to borrow a crane from or hire one. its worth it for the ease! They arnt overly expensive now if you go for a cheapy (if youre only going to use it a few times and make sure you stay clear of it just incase then a cheap one should be fine)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Or buy an engine stand, then hire a crane. I ended up buying a

1-tonne folding crane some years ago, ISTR that I paid £400 or so for it, and have never regretted it despite not using it that much. When I have used it, it's been worth its weight in gold and has been used for much more than lifting engines.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:33:27 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

probably. taking the head off makes it considerably lighter...

however, an engine crane is a fine and wonderful thing.

Mine is something like this one

and can be used for all manner of things, like lifting the front of a defender off the deck to fit new roadsprings... Must get some decent lifting chains for it, though - the ones I have are ancient and marked "13 cwt", so rather underspecified.

We used it to lift the lathe off Steve's 101...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Blimey that's cheap at £190! Mine is;

When I got it, it was about £400 or so. Even now it's still £350. That's a fair old price difference, and mine only lifts 1 tonne..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Even a bare 2¼ block is only just a one man lift - they are stunningly heavy. Hiring a crane from a local tool hire place would be a sound investment - if you lost control while lifting it out the potential for damage and injury is scary. I once loaded a scrap one onto a scrappies truck with two of us and we nearly dropped it. Even the scrappy was looking at his legs thoughfully afterwards..... a nasty moment.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I did it once alone - young & stupid then, but I used four 44 gallon drums, two either side (one on top of the other) with a decent piece of timber across, lifted the engine, pushed the LR out of the way, lowered it into the ute. I hate to think what would have happened if things had tipped over. But it can be done ...

These days I use a 2 tonne crane, like anyone else with half a mind :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I'm assuming you lifted it with a winch of some kind...

If not, you're beginning to scare me now...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hmmmm - like me doing Series gearboxes on my own using the same method when I was younger and stupider.

Reply to
EMB

Tim,

Where in the UK are you?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Go to Machinemart and buy a crane and engine stand, then sell them on Eblag later. I bought 1.5 tonne folding crane, balance beam and an engine stand for just over £200. So far lifted a Peugeot 205 diesel lump and Rover V8 no problems. Having a balance beam and a crane makes it easy to do those fine adjustments when removing/fitting. Tried the engine off a pole trick and you have very little control and it is NO fun. The added bonus of having this kit is you get lots of new friends!!!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

I've one of these if you want to borrow it, Tim.

Reply to
Mother

I loaded a bare 2 1/4 block into the back of my SWB to take it down to the tip a couple of weeks ago. I had to slide it up a ramp to get it in - very scary. I don't know how much they weigh but as far as I was concerned it was way more than a one (wimpy) man lift. The consequences of getting it wrong are to grim to think about. Hire or buy a crane.

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Patrick Manuel uttered summat worrerz funny about:

But don't you get a comfy ride when it's in the back though!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Give me a shout when you want to come and get it - I may also have a small engine stand free - which makes rebuilding sooo much easier.

Reply to
Mother

I had improper thoughts but at our age decided it wasn't possible...

AJH

Reply to
AJH

hehe - yes, a Morris Lever Lift. Now defunct as someone oiled the clutch on it :(

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

But, but,but, no its to easy to make jokes about women involving the phrase "half a mind". Vicky was egging me on to buy that electric hoist from Netto but we don't need one that often and just in case I looked up HSS they hire a 2 ton folder for £25 for a day plus I have the old manual hoist in bits I should play some more with that and get it finished.Vicky still gets more machinery and tool catalogues than me- explains why garage is standing room only. Derek

Reply to
Derek