removing fairey free wheeling hubs

hi newby on his first 110 5 door V8 stage one Series landy needs advice on removing fairey free wheeling hub......first how are they removed...they do not stay in 4X4 and second what parts do i need to repalce them.....who sells the bits...my local LR dealer is about as useful as a Brabant dealer...did not know what free whling hub were.....having sold me the stage one vehicule they took as a trade in

Reply to
geoffryehood

I may be getting my FWH makes mixed up, but i think to do the fairey ones you undo the screw that is on one side. This goes through a loop in what looks like the end of a cable tie. Once the screw is out you can pull the cable tie all the way out of the screw hole and this releases the cap off the hub. There may be couple of other screws/bolts too but i cant remember properly without seeing it.

The manual for the fairey hubs is floating about on the net somewhere if you search for it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

There's a few different versions - the ones I had were manual ones, remove the six bolts, open the first cover up, remove split pin & undo castle nut. Rest of the unit will now come off. No need to remove wheel unless you don't want oil on the tyres.

If you're not re-fitting, you'll need 6 shorter bolts & a drive member to get you going again.

HTH

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

That's the later Fairey design which was operated by hand. The earlier Fairey design had a 'nut' in the cetre of the outer face that you turned with a spanner to lock/unlock.

If you open them up it may be obvious what's wrong and you may be able to recover them with a good clean and rotating parts so that unworn bits are used. I don't think that new parts are available from anywhere now: repair by cannibalisation.

There's an automatic Fairey, too, and some other makes.

Reply to
Dougal

This is the hand-operated Fairey:

I forgot to ask under what circumstances the hubs don't stay locked. The hand operated Faireys and any similar designs have a failing resulting from the introduction of the 'user-friendly' spanner-less design. In deep ruts the ribbed knob can rub on the ground and vehicle motion does the rest unlocking the hub.

Reply to
Dougal

on a stage one he is more likely to have the later design. I've had both variations i think. The ones with the nut are really obvious how to remove but the later ones less so.

Reply to
Tom Woods