Removing IIa tool box in engine bay (above passenger footwell)

The passenger footwell in my IIa 109 is in a bit of a mess. I'd like to remove the tool box inside the engine bay which appears to be attached to the top side of the engine side of the footwell, to get a better feel for its state. Is it possible to remove the tool box (with the intention of re-fitting it later), if so how?

Reply to
John Halliwell

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:58:00 +0100, John Halliwell made me spill my meths by writing:

Don't do it, there'll be tears. From what you told me in your email you want to grind or drill any bolts for it and save it for the eventual replacement bulkhead John :)

Seriously, it'll end up as one of those jobs that unravels and unravels until you get fed up and sell it off :)

Nice to see the toolbox still there though.

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Thanks, suspected that might be the case. Which would be better for replacing the door pillar?

Reply to
John Halliwell

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:29:14 +0100, John Halliwell enlightened us thusly:

moderate-sized mig will do all the welding yer likely to want on a Landy. Bulkhead type stuff is all quite thin anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thirteen years ago I did a 6 week workshop course at Naval College. One of those weeks was brazing and welding, including Mig, Arc, Oxy and Tig.

I found Mig quite difficult and Tig impossible. After about a day's practice I would have said I was half-decent at Arc welding. ISTR we used much thicker metal for the arc, which might have made the difference. If I was buying welding gear I'd probably hire a Mig kit to see if I could get on with it first.

Wouldn't want to try it now though! Local college does courses at a fairly reasonable rate though.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I've only ever done MIG. Would quite like to try the other types too sometime.

I'm quite happy with my MIG welding results now. except for when i have to weld stuff that is upside down (like the underside of things). I just cant do that and get a nice tidy weld that im proud of!!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Bruce made me an ash pan for collecting the ash on the rayburn.

Reply to
Nikki

At work we use TIG because it produces a much neater weld, and you can get away with using no filler metal, unlike MIG. Perfectly smooth and neat welds are critical in the food industry, as untidy welds, and even good MIG welds can harbour all sorts of nasties.

We had a few quite nights just before Billing, and i needed a quick fix on the pulley on my PAS pump. I had about 1/2 hour being shown, an then 1/2 hour practice on my own with the TIG unit, and then welded up the pulley. Produces a lovely weld. I also want one of their helmets, they react to the arc being struck, have a cool air flow to keep you cool and supplied with fresh air, the mutts nuts.

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:05:05 +0000 (UTC), "Simon Isaacs" enlightened us thusly:

you can buy the reacting headshields, very clever, and very pricey. dunno about the cool air etc, mind. more often than not I use a small hand-held shield, but the full-face one is handy if working under vehicles etc, provided there's enough room.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bruce got one of these from Cromwell tools for about £70. But that is all it does. He also quite fancies a TIG welder.

Reply to
Nikki