Repairing a ribbed area

One for the MOT chaps!

I need to get my new toy (the 300TDi Disco) through the MOT. One patch of tin worm is on the bulkhead/footwell area on the drivers side, I assume that it is "fail" because of its proximity to the pedal box (there is similar rot on the passenger side, but it hasn't been recorded as a fail).

Now, there are no repair panels available for this area, so I plan to patch it with plain steel, but the original is "ribbed" (not for extra pleasure :-) but for strength I assume), but when I plate it I will be using plain steel. Will I need to use a thicker steel than the original to make up for the ribbing, or would the same thickness be OK?

What is the view of the MOT testers amongst us?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I did the same on the Rangie.. I got a footwell for it.

This was the rot

and the repair pannel

Disco should most likely be the same parts.

If you still want to plate as long as there is no hole it should be fine. Have a go at metal bashing the profile you need. It can be quite theraputic and the neighbours always warm to it.. especially on early sunday mornings ;0)

I'm not an MOT'er dude though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Have you spoken to YRM

Discovery foot wells aren't listed on their web site but they make them for everything else, so you never know :-)

Reply to
SteveG

12" or 300mm is your limit, even if it is via fresh air. Imagine a sphere 24" (600mm) diameter, with your pedal box mounts in the centre of the sphere - everything encompassed by that sphere is what is classed as "prescribed area". This applies to steering, suspension, seat belts, brakes, bumper and towbar mounts (introduced last year). Basically, anything structural to do with safety.

You may get an advisory by an eagle-eyed tester, but why not cut your repair panel oversize, beat out the channels with a ball-pein hammer and a sandbag, then trim the panel to the correct fit? Badger.

Reply to
Badger