Replacement foam seals for heater flaps (1990 RRC)

Well, I have split the heater into two halves by the simple method of cutting the recirculation flap in half. The replacement matrix from Famous Four appears to fit, or will do so after (hopefully) only a little plastic surgery on the heater case. The split matrix can be seen here:

Next problem: what do I use as a replacement for the closed-cell foam seals on all of the contact surfaces of the air control flaps? The seals have perished either from age or as a result of exposure to near-boiling coolant.

I presume that bog standard draught excluder from a DIY shed will not be adequate.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I reckon it'd be worth a try. There are some professional seal making companies that could offer you a better range than any of the sheds like J.A. Harrison's in Manchester

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thanks Steve

Won't 'made to order seals' be frighteningly expensive tho'? Or do you mean that they could supply the stuff for me to make my own? Sorry bit dense after lengthy fight with heater last night!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

They'll sell you something suitable in a sheet to cut.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ah!

Thanks. I'll see if I can find them via Mr Google.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Where are you Richard ? I need to go past their place in a couple of days. They may even have what you want on a reel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Hello Steve

Near Sevenoaks

It would be very kind of you if you were able to pop in. Don't make a special trip etc.

Real address is: rjs nildram.co.uk

The seals at present are about 5mm x 5mm in a black, fairly dense foam. Shiny plastic film on the face that presses against surfaces and on the opposite side what looks like the remains of double sided sticky tape (or the rems of a contact adhesive). All in all pretty much like any DIY draught excluding tape except that the foam is denser i.e. it compresses less easily. It's density is about halfway between DIY draught excluder and the closed cell foam used in camping sleeping mats. I also assume that both foam and adhesive are able to tolerate a wider temperature range than the DIY shed stuff.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Public thanks to Steve for being very helpful.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage