Replacing manifold

Gonna attempt to replace a manifold on the 101 later. Bearing in mind it's probably never been off since it was built in 1975, what precautions should I take? I guess a liberal spraying with Plus-Gas. Should I try and remove the nuts when still hot, or locally heat the nuts? I want to desperately avoid breaking any studs. The manifold to downpipe connection isn't an issue as it had a new exhaust fitted recently.

I have all the gaskets but no spare nuts/studs.

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

Brave, very brave...

Spray at least a day in advance.

Warm the engine, then let it cool.

Locally heat the nut.

Try to tighten it first (the nut doesn't have to move, but it can help to start to free it).

Good luck

HTH

Reply to
Mother

What is plus-gas?

And are manifolds really that hard to get off a 101?. Sometimes i wonder what ive done getting one..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Brand-name of a penetrating oil. Not to be confused with WD-40 and similar which are intended to keep moisture out and stop corrosion.

If I remember right, plus-gas is a graphited penetrating oil

Manifolds, especially exhaust manifolds, are _always_ a problem. It's the effect of the heat.

It's worth wirebrushing the rust off of any exposed threads. I'd get new nuts myself, and be resigned to splitting the old ones.

Reply to
David G. Bell

The manifold (well the nearside one anyway) is dead easy to get to through a service panel in the inner wing. The problem is that it's been on there for almost 30 years and the same problem would occur on any vehicle of that vintage.

Plus-Gas is a penetrating oil.

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

You're quite correct, it is bolts, and a quick test shows that they will all come out without much persuasion (except the two tricky rearmost ones that are a bit more difficult to get to) so I'll replace it tomorrow.

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons

Took about an hour in the end with the two rear bolts being a complete b*tch to get to. Having bolts makes locating the individual gaskets interesting as well! Last year, I bought a 3/8 ratchet handle that has a T-handle at the end which you can rotate which, in turn, rotates the socket. It was a godsend for this job!

| _ T-handle --> |-====================| |

Reply to
balloons

Does any one retail tubular manifolds along with the stainless exhausts for

101's given their inherant ability to crumble ?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:08:12 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

interestingly, they didn't have gaskets as standard. None of the old V8s I've had a part had exahust manifold gaskets, and I've never fitted any to mine. haven't noticed it leaking.

dunno if they later revised this policy and it may not work if you have aftermarket tubular mainfolds.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There were no gaskets upon removal but I fitted them anyway which fills me with a little more comfort. I don't know of anyone manufacturing tubular manifolds for the 101, but it wouldn't be a tricky job.

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons

On or around Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:13:27 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

by all accounts they're a git to fit on the RR, so what it'd be like on a

101 I can't imagine.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Why don't you get one and see for yourself? :-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:01:19 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I've not got any tubular manifolds, that's why.

You looking to sell one cheap then?

but really, I want to do the 6WD 4WS defender, if I could afford a project. While I could combine the existing bits and bobs and produce a 101 4-speed auto people-carrier, I daresay it'd prove impossible to insure or something. Or impossibly expensive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Peddling the stuff they do they need 'em !

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

On or around Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:15:06 GMT, Peter R. enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I was slightly surprised. but they're worth it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles