Replacing Series windscreen

I picked up half a windscreen for my S3 at Driffield yesterday and it has some sort of non-setting mastic around the edges, can anyone recommend a source for this stuff or is a modern silicone type sealant a better bet?. Greg

Reply to
Greg

If you use silicone it will be ok if you let it start to go off a bit or the silicone might squeeze out enough for the glass to touch the metal frame which in turn may crack the glass.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Go to the likes of Partco, Browns, etc and ask for non-setting windscreen sealer. It comes in a caulking tube.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Or alternativly

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Dum Dum [1] - at any motor factors.

[1] That's the product, not a comment on the poster!

Rich B

Reply to
Dave P

On or around 14 May 2007 05:21:43 -0700, Dave P enlightened us thusly:

what are you doing masquerading as Dave P?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Thank god it's not a Friday..

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

i think halfords still actually sell DumDum paste too.

it works much better than silicone! i did mine with silicone and then had to redo it with dumdum instead to stop it leaking.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The other problem of silicon sealant is if you ever need to remove the glass it is a real pain. Dum Dum works a treat.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

I can only read this group from work using Google groups, and that's my ID on there. I use it to read rather than post, but sometimes I can't wait until hometime. Long ago, I used my all-purpose Hotmail addy DavePseudonym to set up a Google account, and it's stuck. I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted it! Cocnut to that man.

Reply to
Rich B

How did you manage to get it to leak with silicone? You must have a magic touch. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Cheap silicone that didnt cure properly. I left it for 24 hours in the garage but i think dads garage was just too cold and humid for it.

The bits that did cure went moldy too :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

I seem to recall you had the same issues with the 101 roof. Are you sure it's Silicone and not wall paper paste? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

it was shitty silicone. when i did the 101 roof for the second time i used the posh stuff and it worked perfectly. i dont buy the cheap stuff anymore.

Reply to
Tom Woods

LOL Must have had some left then eh? Can you afford posh stuff when running a 101? :-))

Martin

Reply to
Oily

after you have filled the tank up the wallet is numb and doesnt notice the other spending!

I've also just realised that i'm breaking the normal law of 101 ownership as i've lost loads of weight since i started work proper on the truck (and bought a house..)

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Tom Woods" wrote..........

Tell me about it! Been there, done that.

Now *that's* enthusiasm. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for all the replies, I'll track down some Dum Dum this weekend. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Whatcha trying to say?!?!?

then again ... I did notice Nige looked a bit lardy around Christmas time.....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

i thought it was traditional for 101 owners to grow a steering wheel cushion ;) but the resulatant poverty should make it work the other way!

this could get messy :)

Reply to
Tom Woods