Replacing the cam, tappets, pushrods and timing chain

I'm thinking about doing this on my wife's '95 disco series 1 (3.9 gas engine).

Anybody have an estimate on what the parts will cost? I guess I'm looking at a new front cover gasket, new camshaft, new set of tappets, new set of pushrods and a new timing chain and new timing chain cogs. What else are we talking about here?

I've been looking at the official repair manual in addition to some rover V8 literature and this doesn't look TOO difficult for me.

I've posted before, curious about what maintenance things I need to look into for this car -- it has 170,000 miles on it (300,000ish km?) The reason I want to replace all the valve gear is because I understand these are interfence engines and I have no idea if this has been done before. Also, I understand the cams wear out fairly quickly for whatever reason. Lastly, the top end of the engine makes a tapping/ticking sound consistently. It's a little louder when cold, but it never stops completely.

So, any estimates for parts cost? Oh yeah, what about the cam bearing shells? Do I need to replace those with the cam?

Thanks!

Reply to
Anthony

Timing chains rarely give problems as they are unlikely to break unlike timing belts and unless very worn don't usually get replaced if you did want to do the job you are looking at

1 610289 CHAINWHEEL CAMSHAFT 1 $25.95 2 ERC7929 TIMING CHAIN 1 Yes! $49.95 3 ETC5065 OIL SEAL FRONT ENGINE 1 $9.95 4 90602025G KEY CHAINWHEEL - CRANKSHAFT 2 $11.90 5 ERR2958 CHAINWHEEL CRANKSHAFT 1 $13.95 6 ERR4936 GASKET - FRONT COVER - 31D/38D 1 $3.95 7 ERR2428 WATER PUMP GASKET - FROM 1987 1 $4.49 Total Value: $120.14 Your Cost: $99.95 You Save: $20.19 Atlantic British the tapping noise is likely to be camshaft wear ( occasionally poor oilflow to the rockers will also make a tappety sound ) and unless noisy will last for ages before needing attention, gentle ticking when warm would not make me rush out and replace the camshaft and followers, push rods don't usually need replacement.

CAMSHAFT 3.9 1989 ON 36D 38D : ETC8686 $199.95 LIFTERS HYDRAULIC - 1987 ON Item: ERC4949G $14.95 each the rest of the kit you will find at

would email them for a quote they seem to like the word discount. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:27:23 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

I'd change it though, if you're going to the trouble of changing all the rest - while they don't tend to fail, they do wear and get slack, and there's no adjustment in 'em. The teeth on the cam gear wear a bit as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I got a kit of parts from somebody who advertises in one of the mags, can't for the life of me remember who, but it was about £120 for chain, sprockets, cam, followers and all the gaskets including the valley gasket etc.

Imagine how pissed off I was to put it all back together again and to hear the same tapping noise. Turns out 2 of the rockers had worn away where the pushrod sits.

The only awkward bit on my 3.9 RR Classic was getting enough clearance in front of the engine to pull the cam out but I do have air conditioning which doesn't help.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Hrm. Guess I should spring for the rockers too, what with the mileage this car has on it.

It also has A/C. Remove the lines/radiator for clearance?

Reply to
Anthony

On or around 20 Jan 2007 15:01:32 -0800, "Anthony" enlightened us thusly:

don't forget rocker shafts.

You'll probably get away without disturbing it unless you have to get the pump off anyway. If so, you'll be looking at re-gassing anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can I get the cam out of the engine without moving it?

Reply to
Anthony

Can I get the cam out of the engine without moving it?

Reply to
Anthony

On or around 21 Jan 2007 09:28:52 -0800, "Anthony" enlightened us thusly:

ah. good point. dunno - but probably not. I've never worked on one with aircon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Would a link to download the WSM for overhauling the 3.9 be any help?

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Absolutely! I have the official manual here, but any extra instructions always help with stuff like this.

Reply to
Anthony

warren couldn't... LHD might be different i suppose

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:45:36 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I doubt it, in fact. I'd not thought of that, not having worked on one with aircon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I removed the coolant radiator but managed to get enough movement on the air-con rad to leave the pipework attached but still remove the cam. I'm constantly surprised that an 18yr old vehicle still has working air-con so I'm not going to risk having it regassed ;-)

This was on an RR though, I dunno if a Disco will be the same.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong