Replacing Thermostat on '99 Disco 2_PLz read in.

I have had some overheating problems lately on my '99 Disco2, and prior was having sporadic interior heat fluctuations. Sometimes I couldn't get any heat at any settings. Lately the temp guage will soar to red after 5 to 10 minutes of running so I believe it must be a stuck thermostat....yes?

A bit of research has discovered that the thermostat seems in-line....or in-hose to be more presise. Just curious if I need to remove the (vicous fan?) as states in my manual or can I remove without messing with it.

Anything I should be forwarned about? Appreciate any input.

Robert

Reply to
stinky

Diesel or petrol?

With no heat to the interior, I would always start looking at low water level (or a massive air lock) before anything else. If the water is low enough to fail to reach the heater, I'd rectify it pronto.

Telling us what engine would help to investigate this.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Assuming it's a V8, I'd fear the worst for a cracked block behind a cylinder liner. The combustion gasses entering the water jacket will blow some coolant out until the coolant level is below the heater pipes, hence no heat. As the gasses pass through the system, the temp sender will fluctuate wildly indeed. If it's a TD5, disregardd the above and consider head gasket. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hi Rich, It's a 4L Gas, and the water was low but even after topping up with coolant/water I was without heat whilst idling in driveway (no rise in temp guage)

I Just took her for a spin and my heat has returned so, perhaps your air bubble theory has some merit. I can't believe the Landy dealer quoted $80.00 Canadian for a replacement thermostat....seems rather steep to me^(

Robert

Reply to
stinky

Ouch....that just scared the crap outa me! I hope not! I must say I've had to top up the expansion resevoir every month or so and occasionally smell coolant after a drive, none leaking though. I've also been noticing condensation on the inner windshield that seems to come from windshield heating vents. This is mostly when the weather is rainy though.

Sigh.....

Robert

Reply to
stinky

In that case, check very carefully around the coolant pipes entering the heater matrix inside the car. This is a very common leak point for P38 rangerovers although I haven't came across it on a Disco II - yet! If there is a need to top it up, then the coolant has to be going somewhere, it can't just evaporate out of a sealed system, the problem is finding the leak especially if it's a very small one as the hot coolant will tend to dissapear as quick as it leaks out. The fact that you mention condensation on the inside of the vehicle leads me to think more towards a leak around the heater unit somewhere. Doesn't explain the temp cycling issue though, that could indeed be down to the thermostat. It's easy to change, no need to remove fan etc, it's at the rear of the radiator fitted in the coolant hose just inboard of the battery, a big off-white coloured plastic lump with (I think) 3 pipes connecting to it. Junk the standard springy hose clips and fit the new one using decent jubilee type clips. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

|| Hi Rich, || It's a 4L Gas, and the water was low but even after topping up with || coolant/water I was without heat whilst idling in driveway (no rise || in temp guage)

Easy to fill it and still leave an air lock in the heater circuit - ISTR they have special little bleed valves up that end of the system to account for this. I know that refilling with coolant is a bit more involved than pour it in and fire it up.

|| I Just took her for a spin and my heat has returned so, perhaps your || air bubble theory has some merit.

So it's filled the heater pipes - and now you'll need to top it up again, right?

Don't listen to me - Badger's your man for V8s.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I very much appreciate the depth of knowledge you possess. I will look into the coolant pipe leaks as it makes a lot of sense.

If you're ever stuck for info on record/CD production, I hope I can impress you equally....hehe

Thanks for the tips

Robert

Reply to
shakennotstirred