request for 101 lpg conversion details

as i rewire the 101 i wanted to add wires for the LPG kit that im going to fit as soon as it runs again.

can anybody tell me where they mounted the vaporiser and cutoff/filter solenoids on their 101's (and post some pictures if necessary).

from the looks of it the side panel under the coil looks like a good spot for the vaporiser. will it fit without moving the coil? or have people done that?

are there any cunning/recommended places for the switch/control bits too?

Ta

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods wrote: on their 101's (and post some pictures if necessary).

On my GS, the vapouriser is behind the driver, near some of the coolant pipes. My tank is on the passenger side in the load space behind the passenger and before the wheel arch. The cutoff/changeover 1 is under the floor, just gearbox-wards of the handbrake drum. The ancillary tank is where the petrol tank used to be. Its solenoid is in the tank, and the changeover 2 valve is near the other one.

You need a run to the dizzy to pick up sparks present signals, the rest are off the dash.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

in the big empty space behind the seat where the starter motor relay is? i thought that i should find something to go there! :)

got the tank sorted! tis going where my ambi compressor tank was.

hmm. never dealt with a duel tank one. my car only has a single. i guess the 101 is only going single tank too.

i think the one in my car uses the coil -ve/rev counter feed. the switch i put in the car had 6 wires to it i think - it has the feed for all the solenoids and the tank gauge on it too - so i need to guestimate my location so that i can get the wire length kinda right..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just on the outside of it.

I can do you a picture I think.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If you could do me a quick snap it would be useful ta. sounds like a sensible position over there as it is convenient for the coolant pipes!

Reply to
Tom Woods

any chance of a pic steve? tommorrow nights job is putting more engine bay wiring into flexy conduit stuff, and while i can easily add wires later, ive already worn the skin off both my thumbs adding wires to other bits of flexy stuff, so would prefer to cut down on putting wires in it before my fingers start bleeding! ;)

you wouldnt belive how many wires ive run into the truck so far! there are 2 25mm O/D bundles just for my top dash!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sure.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ive now run a nice long solenoid feed down to that area.

next question:

How does the fuel cut off work on the 101?

On my car there is a wire from the LPG switch that goes to an inline fuel tap, which is presumably energised while on gas and stops fuel getting to my carb.

On the 101 i presume the gas kit will just want to turn off the petrol pump by cutting its power? is it the usual approch to use a relay to achieve this? I'm already wiring in a relay to power my fuel pump that i was going to make become live with ignition on.

Can any vehicle wiring gurus tell me if it is possible for me to use a single 4 pin relay and have it both going on with +12v from the ignition switch and off with +12v from the LPG controller?

Could i wire the ignition on feed to one triggering pin and the LPG cut-off feed to the other triggering pin? I'm assuming this would act as a gnd when the gas kit was switched off? or will it not?

Reply to
Tom Woods

And can any other 101 owners tell me where this reverse light switch position which apprently exists on the top of my gearbox is? Ive looked all round the bit where the lever goes into the box but cannot see any threaded holes!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Always safest

No, you wire the 12v feed to the pump through the (normally closed)* switch contacts. You wire the LPG cutoff to the coil of the relay.

*Normally closed - as if the coil is switched off, the contacts are CLOSED c.v. Normally open, as if the coil is switched off, the contacts are open.

Steve

Reply to
steve

So use 2 relays then?

Reply to
Tom Woods

No, just the one - you only want to isolate the pump when the LPG is on don't you ? The pump HAS to run when you're on petrol.

Steve

Reply to
steve

I was thinking that the pump would be effectively turned on by an ignition live trigger from my ignition switch (and possibly an imobiliser switch) - ignoring the LPG; the act of turning the pump on with the ignition was going to use a relay.

I was wondering if i could turn the pump off, (or prevent it turning on from the ignition live trigger) using the 12v LPG active feed along with the SAME relay.

I could do it with 2 relays, one that turns on with the igntion and another to cut the feed as you describe but it would mean less relays if i did it with a single one.

would the following work? :

assuming the relay has 4 pins which are coil 1 and coil 2 (C1, C2) and then power 1 and Power 2 (P1,P2) which are the 2 contacts on it. (the pin numbers pdf at AES is down :( )

C1 - ignition live +12v from ignition switch via imobiliser C2 - +12v from LPG switch (to fuel cut/active) P1 - +12v P2 - Fuel pump

When the ignition was turned on and the LPG was off the pump should run (wire to LPG presumably 0v/Gnd). With the ignition on and the LPG on the pump wont run.

am i right here?

otherwise i need to use 2 relays.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:33:56 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

why? hasn't it already got a pump feed?

no.

You need a changeover relay in the pump feed, as steve said, wire the pump feed to common (30) and NC (87A), then the gas "live" signal to the trigger (85) and earth the other end (86). You can, optionally, use the NO (87) pin to energise the gas system solenoids, but most gas system controllers are designed to be able to energise the solenoids directly.

If you want to feed the petrol pump through a relay then you need an additional one for that - although the vehicle may already have that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't forget the oil pressure switch, which is bypassed by the starter motor during cranking.

No gnd connection to the relay ? How will it turn on ??? If you do the LPG switch with a double pole changeover, you might make it, without invoking another couple of quid of relay.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Not wiring the oil pressure switch in for starting/fueling purposes. I dont like it! (and it is broken)

wont the LPG fuel cut off feed be a gnd when it isnt 12v?

Its not the few quid of relay i object to - just after a slight simplification and one less relay to fit in.

Reply to
Tom Woods

It is a safety feature !

No, it'll be open-circuit.

Steve

Reply to
steve

It aint got anything that i havent put back in myself over the last few weeks! The fuel pump did run through a very long bit of wire that i rammed into the inspection socket before i started it. The coil +ve feed was also rammed into the same inspection socket.. (this is partly why im rewiring it!)

I was under the impression that it was sensible to wire fuel pumps in through relays as they used quite a bit of current/power and running constantly meant that a bit of protection via a relay was prudent.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Its only a few Watts, but I'd keep a relay, or a transistor.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Ive got an oil pressure gauge, so i can tell for myself if my oil pressure is bad. Did all 3.5 rover v8's have the oil pressure cut off switch or just the military versions?

Reply to
Tom Woods