Resistance/crunching when changing gear on '96 Discovery

When I drive off from cold in my '96 Disco with 94k miles, it's difficult to move the gear-stick between gears. As the engine warms up the gear-stick becomes easier to move but then there's a slight crunching of gears as I change. Is this because the synchromesh baulk rings have worn (doesn't seem likely at 94k and with thorough service history) or could the gearbox oil be low or need changing - are there additives which can help? (The clutch appears to be fine - it disengages at the beginning of pressing it and not near the floor.) Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received.

Regards Tony H.

Reply to
Tony

First thing would be to make sure there is the right amount of the right oil in the gearbox! The symptoms sound like either no or incorrect oil (check with Landrover for the latest recommendations for your model), this box is sensitive to oil type and there have been changes in recommendations. But there are other possibilities as well, including a partly seized clutch pilot bearing, loose clutch lining, damaged pressure plate or oil on the clutch plate.

JD

Reply to
JD

When was the oil last changed (really, that is!) - ATF really doesn't last much over the 6,000 mile interval.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:03:51 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I've used synthetic SAE75 in the LR boxes to good effect - slightly heavier shift when cold on cold days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ATF in gearbox needs replaced every 6K miles? That's interesting, as my local garage assures me that if the ATF is sitting at the right level in the manual gearbox and it's clean and pink, and the gearchange is clean and smooth, then it'd best just to leave it alone. I've had 4 services over 25K miles in the Disco 1 and not changed the ATF in the gearbox at all on that advice. No probs (yet).....having said that, the transmission will probably seize solid tomorrow....k

Reply to
karangahape

On or around Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:03:51 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

6000? you sure?

I thought it was 24000 for manual boxes in normal use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles