Reversing sensor kit: is this a good idea

My local garage has an ultrasonic (I think) reversing sensor kit for £15. I was wondering if it was (a) good value, and (b) worth fitting to the 110. I do a lot of town driving and a reversing sensor would be good, but not if they're rubbish.

So is the technology pretty stable, or is there a wide range of products and quality? £15 is probably worth the risk anyhow, but I was just wondering what the team thought...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I fitted one to my 200Tdi there were problems, it seemed to work OK at least my other half never reversed into anything!

The only thing to be aware of is that the rear tyre can stick out further than the bumper (where the sensors are mounted) - so you may have less room than you think.

Woolies were selling them off at =A37 each a couple of years ago, so I've got a couple in the garage. With my capstan winch and tyre on the bonnet I'm tempted to fit it on the front so I know how close the winch is to anything! :-)

Cheers

Peter

1990 110 Reggie the Veggie 1959 Austin A40 1964 Rover P4 110 1973 Hillman Imp
Reply to
puffernutter

Good point. It might be adjustable or modifiable to react earlier (suspect a tuned circuit or similar)...

It sounds like it's worth a punt then. Finding the time to fit it is another matter mind!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I was lent a Skoda Fabia (don't ask...*) recently and that had reversing sensors. They were so good that I am seriously considering adding them to the Disco. There was a how-to article in LRO recently, could dig it out if you want.

  • Actually not a bad car at all... For a car.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Aside from the REALLY ugly dashboard area and the fact that 1st gear is so tall.

Reply to
EMB

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| ||| * Actually not a bad car at all... For a car. || || Aside from the REALLY ugly dashboard area and the fact that 1st gear || is so tall. || || -- || EMB

Yes, and yes. But for a small hatchback it was remarkably fun to drive and for a 1.2 3-cyl it went well. Driven as a twoc, obviously...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nothing wrong with Skoda's these days, they are the thinking mans VW.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not that there's anything left of Skoda in them, it's just a badge now. I'm not a fan of that kind of marketing exercise, e.g. putting Austin Healey badges on new cars, or even worse the Riley badge (IIRC) on a shitty old rover with a red grille insert.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| On 2006-05-01, beamendsltd wrote: || ||| Nothing wrong with Skoda's these days, they are the thinking ||| mans VW. || || Not that there's anything left of Skoda in them, it's just a badge || now. I'm not a fan of that kind of marketing exercise, e.g. putting || Austin Healey badges on new cars, or even worse the Riley badge || (IIRC) on a shitty old rover with a red grille insert.

Worst of all was rebadging a crappy and ugly rustbucket saloon as a "Sunbeam Alpine". To those of us who remember the original, elegant Alpine, it was sacrilege.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Exactly - all the VW group come out of the same parts box (with differeing A surfaces) and use the same platforms.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd