Rip-offs on ebay again....

These retail at around £2 each......

Reply to
Alex

Some people are so stupid that they will pay it! I remember the BMW service indicator reset tools that you could buy for £12.95 from G&S selling for near £30 on eBay!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Even at £12.95 they are expensive - BMW service indicators can be reset with a short length of wire (or a test light if you want to be a bit safer).

Reply to
EMB

Yes - and that's the way I used to do it! a bent paper clip - the ubiquitous part number PC01 :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

£1.45 inc VAT!

LR's current list price for NRC2054's is £4.44 plus VAT each, so they *could* be a deal. What's more worrying is that they are for petrol engines only and that's not mentioned.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It amazes me that folk are happy to pay for the listing but CBA to go the extra mile and provide as much info as possible on the kit they're selling. I was looking at UPS units last night - some don't even mention the capacity. ok - if you're selling hens teeth then I expect the punters will dig out the necessary data to check suitability for purpose, but when there's 10s or 100s of competing items, the one with the info gets the bids.

Reply to
William Tasso

Daft isn't it. The length of time it keeps your kit running for depends on the Ah capacity of the batteries, but the selling point appears to be the VA rating, which tells you how much power it can supply, but not for how long!

Best bet is to go to MGE's website, IIRC they had a good UPS selector which you can put in your required runtime at a given load. I don't know if other companies have similar.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I guess because most consumers buy a UPS to enable an immediate, automatic, clean, shutdown rather than how long they can continue working as normal. So provided the UPS can deliver enough power for a few minutes the total available uptime isn't important.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bonkers - it's like they're ashamed to be selling the kit.

ok - so we've thread shifted. cool :)

Plese do give me warning if we're also going to morph this into another group.

I did - their selector is similar (no surprise really) to APCs.

Ok - so I've made me choice - well narrowed it down. Now then (paradoxically speaking) can you recommend a supplier that speaks plain English and has a sensible attitude to pricing?

Reply to
William Tasso

That's plain, but you need to know how long the kit will keep running for to allow a clean shutdown, so runtime information is still very relevant. The accuracy of the UPSes "remaining runtime" counter is also not good, so you need to allow at least 5 minutes on top of your shutdown time to account for errors in that.

The above is for large rack UPSes BTW, not for home users, home use UPSes are similar but different numbers.

Some sites do publish Ampere-hour ratings, others publish runtime at half load and full load, others publish nothing whatsoever.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I posted some links to hardware.com, misco and insight, they seem to be the best priced, I'd always advise making the decision on what to buy before even looking for the supplier, not usually much point asking them what to buy, they'll recommend whichever line needs to be cleared that month for targets to be reached.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

William Tasso uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oh well done, cunningly mentioning a resident Landrover by name to swing it all the way back OT ;-) Morph would be touched that you chose him.... later he'll be very touched if the prop I've just given a once over too doesn't sort the Diff/Prop rumble question.

I would like a UPS if only to clean up my Gennys output but probably not worth the bother given I can no doubt get a Honda when finances permit.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

ahh - yes, thanks

oh agreed - I was looking for more detailed product info.

My use of the slector came up with this:

But, having never used their kit before I'm quite keen to get a handle on what it's capable of wrt: network alerts, monitoring/reporting and auto shutdown of multiple systems.

Reply to
William Tasso

All of that is down to the software that comes with it (although some higher-end gear has additional relay-driving ports that can be used to signal other machines in hardware), from what I've seen MGE stuff is as intelligent as APC stuff, the required basics are uptime remaining and tuneable low battery alert. The software monitors the UPS and sends signals to other machines with a matching client package installed to shut down.

I don't know what the windows software is capable of as I don't use the stuff, see what their website says, a fair amount of documentation on there.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I noticed that there is two parts listed, but as the mounting brackets on the block & chassis are the same, I can't see why the rubbers should be that different. The parts manual does show the diesel ones as square, not round, presumably the diesel ones are tougher to cope with the extra roughness of the engine.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex uttered summat worrerz funny about:

The Diesel ones are built deaf. The Petrol ones go deaf with age.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

All the "domestic" UPS's I've ever seen have run times of at least 5 mins. Ample for a doze box to shutdown.

Aye, the run times are varying loads are the most useful figures. At low loads the runtime that a linear extrapolation from max and battery capacity might lead you to believe due to standing losses in the UPS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed - the diesel ones are much "stiffer".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd