Rivinut

WTF is a rivinut, and how do you install them?

All i want to do is fit a snorkel!

Mark

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

It's a rivet _and_ a nut. IOW, you put it in like a rivet, however the head, instead of being a little round hole, is actually threaded - to make a nut.

Reply to
Mother

And you set them with nut and bolt. Put the nut right down the bolt to the head and right through the rivnut, then unscrew the nut down the bolt, while holding the head of the bolt steady. The nut pulls the core of the rivnut against the panel and locks it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

They have a brand name round here of Gesipa Bushes i believe!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

...and Steve spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Do you know where you can get them? As in another thread, I am moving the rear ladder over to the new car and I need a few.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What size ? I have some M10, but that does seem a bit big.There are some M8 and M6, somewhere. Let me know what you want.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

It's like a rivet gun with a screw thread 'shaft' yes?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

There is actually a proper tool for inserting them. Which is far quicker if you have a lot to do.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

They are, 'kin 'kin expensive though.

So the nuts and bolt methods is pretty good....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

...and Steve spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Well, it's got to support a rear ladder which will take my weight, so M500 sounds right :-)

ISTR the holes I drilled originally were about 5mm, if that makes sense. This is a new fitting, though, so I can drill to suit.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I got some from Car Builder Solutions Tel: 01580 891309.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

On or around Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:37:38 +0000, Steve enlightened us thusly:

but only if you can get access to the other side of the panel. Which slightly defeats the object - if the other side of the panel is accessible, nothing to stop you fitting an ordinary nut to it... The particular benefit of the rivnuts, AIUI, is the ability to insert 'em into blind spaces.

don't they need a square hole? If not, what stops the bugger going round inside when you try to remove the bolt?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is that what those avdelock rivets that i see referenced to in sixstud are like? (I've never noticed any special rivets on my 101 but ive only really played with the Marshalls bit of it not the LR bit)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Front the sound of it, rivnuts are another name for nuserts. To fit nutserts you can just get a bit if tube (with a "handle" welded on idealy) and a bolt through it. Place it with the nutsert on the end where it needs to go and tighten the bolt against the tube (the end of the nutsert is threaded) which crushes it into place on the body/chassis/ whatever. Unecrsew the bolt, remove the tube and off you go.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No, you're not understanding that correctly Austin, the method described only requires access from one side, and is a pretty good method really. I have a tool for doing them and it is quicker with it, but both give you the same result.

Round hole, part of the nut has collapsed in a engineered way and pressed against the panel/sheet whatever and is holding that tight so the bolt removes easily. They are really handy things.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

This doesn't sound like a particularly robust method for mounting a ladder which has to take the weight of a person+what they're carrying. What are you drilling into? (if Steve can't find his M6/M8 ones give me a shout and I can post you some, I wouldn't like to go much smaller)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

...and snipped-for-privacy@macleod-group.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Well, it's what the ladder (LR part) came with, and it stood up to my stone clambering up and down. The ladder has a top bracket that fits over the top edge of the door, so that takes the majority of the weight. There are two fasteners to hold the top in position and two just below the number plate light to do likewise for the bottom. I'll go and measure it up shortly.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Swot Land Rover designed. Mine on the 200tdi Disco was the same. Ladder was quite fine - hinges took a pounding, though...

... not that I'm, erm...

Reply to
Mother