road tax

OK, I've looked on the DVLA website and can't find it, but then I can never find anything on it.

How old must a vehicle be to get free road tax? is it age or pre a fixed date?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Built on or before 31 Dec 1972. Vehicles first registered after that date are eligible if you can prove they were built in 1972 - you might need a Heritage Trust certificate, though I suppose they'd believe you if it was first registered on 1/1/73

Reply to
Autolycus

Twas Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:04:54 -0000 when "Autolycus" put finger to keyboard producing:

Is this a fixed date or does it advance every year? Doesn't really matter now as mine is 1984.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Unfortunately this is a fixed date. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

It read was originally introduced as a rolling 25 year thing but was soon stopped. I wonder how many vehicles fast approaching their 25 year date were sold at a premium on that basis, only to find it was stopped just before they qualified :)

I understand it was also part of an election manifesto to re-establish the scheme, but they didn't get back in.

Quite a bit to be found on Google both in this newsgroup and others, I think it started of as "25 year tax exemption" but is something like "historic status" now. Still need to display a tax disc and present current insurance and MoT if applicable but no money changes hands. Wonder what the penalty would be for failure to display on a tax exempt vehicle :)

All the best

Reply to
wayne

I just got the new V5C back from DVLA for the S2a which calls it a "historic vehicle" - wife thinks it's more hysterical than historical :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Some would say "PRE-historic"? I don't mind what they call it as i'v a 58 and pay no tax (YET)!!! "Always a pleasure NEVER a chore" From The Brew of VianAlky

Reply to
VianAlky

---- Original Message ---- From: Newsgroups: alt.fan.landrover Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 6:24 PM Subject: Re: road tax

Same penalty as for a taxable vehicle the offence is Failure to Display regardless of fee.

Sorry I sent it direct as well oooops :)

Mike

New signature required bored with the old one © Me

begin 666 smile.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y# #`0`[ ` end

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero

And our beloved chancellor is expected to repeal the scheme come the

17th anyway.

Steve T

Reply to
Steve

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, SteveG at snipped-for-privacy@spam.co.uk wrote on 2/3/04 7:58 pm:

Is that because that's how she feels after going out in it?

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

So is it time to cancel ... get no refund then get another 12 months then ?

:-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Go out in it? She won't even acknowledge that it's ours ... well mine, anyway.

LOL Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:24:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

it was indeed. But the reichschancellor didn't like the thought of all that lovely moolah not being paid into the government's coffers, (like how many bloody 25-yo plus vehicles are on the road anyway?) so put a stop to it pronto.

yet another reason why I'd rather piss me pants than on him if he were on fire.

yes you do still need a disc, just that it's free.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:24:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

and how many 1973 or 1974 vehicles are being ringed to bring their official age back to 1972.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What? Where do you get this information from?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I didn't think the could take away a privilege once granted BICBW

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

AIUI Tessa's, ISA's still exist if you already have one but you cannot take out a new one in the same way 25 year old car's were tax exempt but not after 1997 IYSWIM

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Association of British Drivers I think, or it might have been the Telegraph Saturday motoring section.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Film makers Tax credit. Individual learning accounts.. Tessas ISAS

I could go on, but it gets too depressing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

but as you said... >>I didn't think the could take away a privilege once granted

well that proves the bastards can.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor