roof lining coming down

I have a 1997 disco in which the roof lining is starting to drop - does anyone know if it is possible to fix this problem in situ or will it involve removing the lining from the car to do it properly

Thanks Shaun snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Grant at EH

Common RR problem as well I believe, so no doubt there will be plenty of expert advice along shortly. I had a similar problem on an old Rover 820 - what happens is that the foam backing disintegrates and that's what comes away from the hard shell.

Trying to glue it just doesn't work.

I successfully used the "christmas tree" plugs used to secure the headlining in a 110/90 (and also I think on RR's) - shortened to about half length and trimmed to a new sharp point, they slotted neatly into holes I punched with a bradawl and have kept the lining up nicely. On such an old car it wasn't worth spending lots of time and money replacing the lining.

If you did such a "fix" now, it would probably stop gravity pulling the rest of the lining down too - with careful placing of the plugs it looks almost "standard" in the old Rover.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley