Roor rack or roof bars....

Hi!

I need to relocate a 6' wide bed (made up from two 3' single beds and a

6' mattress) about 250 miles.

I don't particulary want to hire a van for this as returning the van is a pain and, anyhow, I've got a Discovery II - surely this is up to the job?

Now, what do I need to put on the roof so that I can lash this bed to it? Roof bars (they seem nice and cheap) or a roof rack (they seem a little narrow and very expensive)?

Any advice appreciated

Philip

Reply to
pjh1

where abouts are you philip? I have a set of Thule roof bars and mounting feet for a classic which has gutters like the Disco I think. They are for sale if you are interested. Barno.

Reply to
Barno

Bars would do it easily as it's not heavy, if twas a heavy item I'd suggest a rack as it spreads the load through more contact points. I like ratchet straps for securing roof loads, usually three, 2 across side to side and one over the middle length ways, strap it TO the bars rather then AROUND them, if you see what I mean.

-- Mark.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

I have an 1/2 roof rack for my disco in oxford if you want to borrow it you're more than welcome :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

I'm in Watford - but I'm still not too sure if roof bars are the solution. I don't want to do multiple journeys you see. (I hope you did not send e-mail to my dead e-mail account)

Thanks for the quick response (and sorry for my slow one!)

Philip

Barno wrote:

Reply to
pjh1

Thanks for the quick answer (and sorry for my slow response!). I guess I need to go buy some bars then - Maybe I'll get in touch with Barno :-)

Philip

Reply to
pjh1

Thanks for the offer but I'm not too sure that a half rack would take

6' long/wide objects? That and the fact that Watford is a little out of my way and its looking like I should buy a set of bars.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the responses from this news group - most welcoming - Thanks everybody

Philip

Reply to
pjh1