RR 4.0 speakers- Terrible! Ideas?

THe sound system in my 98 4.0 RR sounds terrible, too much muddy bass, part of the mids sucked out, difficult to make out words even. Is the Harmon Kardon system in the HSE much better? Does it address these problems specifically? No, I don't have the (optional in the 4.0) subwoofer in the back, & I don't want it- i need the space. Any ideas? Does anyone make an aftermarket kit for the RR?

Reply to
Kieran McCoey

I'd be inclined to suspect a fault. Now, vehicle speaker systems are difficult to design, and I've no idea of the details, but this could easily be something wrong with the non-bass part of the system. Or a small child twiddling knobs. If it is a bad connection, be careful. Amplifiers should be protected against a speaker getting disconnected, but it's best not to try full power.

It's easy enough not to notice a single speaker getting disconnected. If you have any control for the balance, front-to-back and left-to-right, see if that makes a difference.

Reply to
David G. Bell

No, no faults. Nothing out-of-phase, either. If one listens from the centre of the car, right over the cubby box & crouches down, things improve markedly, unless one happens to be driving the vehicle at the time, in which case one's appreciation of music and/or speech is likely to be interrupted by loud crashing noises. It's only when one asumes the normal driving position that the mids go wrong. I was wondering whether the HK speaker treatment fixes that, since I haven't listened in an HSE. The insides of cars are notoriously difficult acoustic spaces, but I haven't come across another vehicle where the listening position has such a marked effect.

Reply to
Kieran McCoey