RR and the religious rear crossmember

My garage tells me the rear crossmember has taken to religion

eh says I

its HOLE-ier than thou

sh*t

Sooo, is it a big job? could a novice tackle it? whats involved?

Cheers

Si

Reply to
Simon K

place. When I came to do this my LR spares place had a complete second hand door frame which seemed a lot easier (at the time) and no more expensive, so I did that. With hind sight I would have been better served just to replace the crossmember. Of course now I own and angle grinder, reciprical saw and Mig welder it doesn't seem so daunting.......

Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

In message , Simon K writes

Body crossmember or chassis crossmember? Chassis needs better welder and more bits removed than body crossmember.

Reply to
AndyG

chassis

oh bugger

Si

Reply to
Simon K

welder and

Allo Simon

We talking about the rear cross member? If so then you most likely can do it and, talking as a Scotsman, would best be doing it as it will cost ££££££££££££s to get local garage to do it. There is a lot of time consuming crap to remove before you can get in to cut and weld - possibility that you could do all the preliminary work and then get a local, mobile welding guy in to do the final cut and weld if you are not happy doing it????

Anyways - the main crap to get out of the way will be:

rear bumper (two captive bolts that will most likely break free when you try to turn the nuts) fuel tank (more captive bolts - see above plus rusty fuel pipes, fuel filler needs to come off the wing etc etc ) to get to the fuel tank and assist welding rear cross member you'd best get the floor up in the boot that means rear seat belt mountings have to come out too. Bottom tailgate needs to come off. If it's your LSE then I am not sure about any of that convoluted air suspension stuff that may have to go. All in all mega time consuming stuff but simple stuff - once that's all shifted then you'll have clear access to the rusty bits and do not risk blowing yourself up when you cut and weld. The new cross member is an off the shelf item and all you really need to do is cut the old one off and weld the new one on accurately - It may be worth giving the rest of the chassis around the fuel tank a good smack with a hammer to check just how solid it is too - if you are going to go to the time and trouble of stripping the car down to do the operation then you might as well fix anything in the area that is dodgy as, otherwise, you'll only be back in there next year doing the same.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme