RR Classic - Body to Chassis bushes and repair of rear body hanger for same

Lower edge of rear frame on my 88 RR Classic has rotted at the N/S end sufficiently for the body to chassis hanger to be exploding with rust and possibly even to be cracking!

I have no doubt that my 'man-with-mig' can repair the frame and rebuild the hanger (probably both N/S and O/S while he is at it). However, I'm concerned about obtaining the bushes, spacer tubes and what the parts book describes as 'special washers'. The reasons for this are (a) they are listed in multiples of 20 and (b) I fear that they may no longer be available.

So, can I buy bushes etc in multiples of 2 from LR or from anyone else?

I don't really want a complete Polybush kit just for 2 bushes etc.

Also how difficult is removing the bottom tailgate? Having undone the 2 pairs of bolts that presumably clamp the hinge to the tailgate, will said hinge flip up at great speed when I pull the tailgate off the hinge?

I presume such rust damage to be attractive to MOT stations? I'm not thinking of not having it repaired it's whether I do it before or after the MOT test.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

All in stock - you are more than welcome to one of each if you so desire!

I'm told, buy a customer who has just passed his 3-day MOT exam, that on a Range Rover up to three knackered body mounts is only an advisory - but I doubt most would view it that way.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

At the risk of causing offence (none intended, of course): 'you darling man!

Can you supply the full set for each mount? i.e

bolt top 'special washer' bush spacer tube bush bottom 'special washer' nut

How should I proceed? Ring you during opening hours and flex my credit card?

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah or leave a message and he might just get back to you ;-) I'll make sense if you get the answer phone - which incidentally always catches me out as I end up talking to it before I realise I've been had again :-o

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't know if they are available in polybush form or just rubber?

Have you disconnected the number plate lamp wires? Just lift the tailgate almost vertical and lift off holding the outside edges, it's that easy.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The "jist" of the MOT tester's manual on the subject is thus:- If a body mounting point on the CHASSIS is corroded excessively (Holed, torn, weakened etc) then it is a fail. No argueing there. If a body mount on the BODY is excessively corroded or even missing, it is ONLY AN ADVISORY, UNLESS THE BODY IS INSECURE ON THE CHASSIS. In other words, if the body can be moved relative to the chassis at that mounting by use of "reasonable force" (ie rocking the vehicle or pushing against it using only your own body weight - not using lever bars etc) then it is a fail. This is obviously over-ridden by the 300mm (prescribed areas) corrosion rule for seatbelt/suspension/steering mounts though, if a failed body mount is within 300mm of any of the above mentioned, then it is an MOT fail regardless of whether the body is insecure on the chassis or not. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks Lee. I'll *try* to make contact today!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

My researches yesterday suggest that Polybushes are only available for the chassis to wheels interface, not for body to chassis. But I have sent Polybush an email.

Not yet.

Just lift the tailgate

The hinges don't spring up in a finger biting manner?

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Badger

Interesting. As the suspension is attached to the separate chassis, would the 300mm rule still apply? I mean if the chassis and all below it is structurally sound but a body to chassis mount closer than 300mm to a spring hanger is rotten what is the situation there? The spring is firmly attached but the body isn't

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi sweetie,

ANR1504 Body Mounting Rubber - RRC 2 0.48 17.50 0.96

566580 Body Mounting Washer - RRC 2 0.70 17.50 1.40 ANR4519 Bolt - Body Mounting - Range Rover Classic 1 1.42 17.50 1.42 KVH100030 Body Mounting Spacer Tube - RRC 1 3.90 17.50 3.90 252162 Rear End Structure Mounting Nut - RRC 1 0.09 17.50 0.09 ______________________________ Sub Total: £7.77 VAT Total: £1.36 Net Total: £9.13

per mount - the spacer tube is the killer, so saving the old one's is definately a Good Thing.

The above are all on the site - use the on-site search facility. (some of the descriptions are a bit different to above, bur don't worry about it).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Leaving messages is ok, but I get about 30 to 40 empty messages a day, and with Orange not having any "block delete" facility it takes me ages to catch up, so trying again is a better idea.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Orange as in mobile phone? You don't have to wait for the prompts you know. B-) Just pressing 3 will delete the current playing message. Pressing 1 gives you next one without waiting for the "Message received today at 12 32 pm" etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yebbut.... If you've got fingers long enough to get them trapped in the hinges whilst holding the ends of the tailgate, then they definitely need trimming. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

For business? turned off the damn v/m thingie years ago (although it does seem to switch back on again without warning)

It's so easy to contact me (or leave a message with a real person) that I found I have no legitimate need for it.

Reply to
William Tasso

I've sussed that - but it's still insanely boring!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Depends if your business allows you to answer the phone when ever it happens to ring. Mine doesn't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Big thanks to Beamendsltd

Big weight off my mind regarding getting the bushes etc - all bits ordered this a.m.

I'll be waving the RR (Rust Rover) at my man-with-mig on Thursday so wish me luck.

Richard

Reply to
Richard