RR Classic springs - begging letter

Has anyone got a good set of Range Rover Classic standard coil springs laying about that they don't want any more? Mine have got very lazy and drooped on the O/S recently ('85 Classic). North-west Wiltshire ish, must be cheerfully cheap (I'll buy you a pint down the pub type of cheap) or ideally "free to a good home"!!

TIA, Steve - at the moment aka Wun Wing Lo

Reply to
Steve

I have a pair of rear springs (I think), but no fronts. They're heavy-duty or police spec, not sure which. Perfectly OK - I took them off and fitted standard as I found the ride a bit too harsh. Free if you can collect (West Wales), or I'll post at cost plus a pint.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll go and check the markings to see what they are.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Certainly interested, worried that post cost is going to be an arm and a leg though. Which bit of West Wales?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Surely won't be that much. I'll weigh them when I get home tonight and let you know! I'm close to Haverfordwest - about 500,000,000 miles from anywhere else.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It's not that far from anywhere in the British Isles....I'm sitting

12000 miles away (in New Zealand) and I not only know where Haverfordwest is, but I've been there and lived nearby (Dale) for a while. It didn't seem too isolated then.
Reply to
EMB

Well, yeah, on the cosmic scale it's pretty close to, say, Alpha Centauri. But if you've lived round here you'll know the idea.... like a friend who came to visit from Cambridge, all the way down the M4 and got to Cardiff, where he reckoned he'd travelled far enough. He stopped (he said), wound down the window and asked where Richard lived. He was surprised to be told that Haverfordwest was a further hundred miles.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Dale - it's a lovely spot. Supposed to have the highest sunshine hours in the UK.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Springs are painted black with red and white marker - I think that makes them police spec rears, but the book I had with the info in went with the car, and I can't find a reference on the web. They came off the rear of an ex-SAS 1993 RRC, so that would add up. Anyone?

Weight of the two is 9.4Kg - depending on the weight of the packing, that would be between 10 and 12 GBP to post (depends if it's under or over 10Kg - should help if I clean 'em first). I'm happy to do this, but I see that Paddocks are doing HD springs for 9.60 GBP each. Don't know if that includes VAT or shipping, but you may find that a better option.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman wrote: > Springs are painted black with red and white marker - I think that makes

According to

-Part Number - NRC4304Vehicle - Range Rover Heavy DutyAxle - Rear Length (inches) - 17.71 Rate (lbs/in) - 170 Coils - 7 Colour Code - red/white

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Clegg

Steve,

If you get a set no gaurantee they are any better. Old Sodbury on 23rd Oct at Newbry Showground. Not too far from you. there you will find loads of springs.

Go for a good set of replacement springs and shocks, they are not mega money and the improement will be dramatic. If you go for a lift kit you will need to remember the flexible brake hoses. Also chack the bushes in the suspension as they have probably had it also leading to your problems. My rear axle was leading a separate life until I replaced all the bushes.

Reply to
j_kaye

Richard - Thanks very much for having a look for me. Haverford-Andromeda-West is a fair toot in the car so I won't do that. As someone else has pointed out, Old-Sod is coming up in the not too distant future and I'm planning on going up there for some bits and bobs for my S-III, so I'll have a look there. If I can't find anything then I'll get back in touch and, if you've still got the springs, sort something out.

Thanks again, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for all that. I'm planning on going up to old-Sod anyway, so for the time being I'll live with the leans. I'm not intending to lift the thing, just make it ride square.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No worries or, as they say around here, dim problem.

Reply to
Richard Brookman