RR Classic - Tyre opinions please

I know that tyre-related posts are very common, and I've looked through many. However, My question is a little unusual.

Recommendations please for a tyre choice to go on Wolf Rims fitted to a Range Rover classic. Traction on mud not high priority, but good road manners and good performance on sand and stony tracks is. Puncture resistance is also on the wish list.

All suggestions gratefully recieved (especially when they include suggested sizes - I'm thinking that perhaps a 235/85 16 might be about right).

Reply to
ColinS

Have you cut or do you intend to cut away the wheel arches ?

If not then 235/85x16 won't fit a RR. If you haven't got a suspension or body lift then you'll be pushing it to get more than the standard

205x16's in. 15 inch rims will give you a better choice but that would rule out wolf rims. If you are going to cut the arches away, do it as/ before you fit the tyres as waiting to see if they catch will result in damaged bodywork and tyres... BTDT.

For the tyres themselves I'd look at something from the Pirelli Scorpion range. The ST is a good compromise and comes in a large range of sizes. SWMBO has them on her 90 and they are happy to cruise on the motorway without any tyre noise but cope well with green laning too.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Twas 2 May 2004 04:17:35 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@rallyrider.com (ColinS) put finger to keyboard producing:

245/75, 255/65, 235/70 are all listed for the RR classic, as well as 750's.

for better road manners consider 225/75 or 235/70.

I personally like Michelin XZY as a mainly-road tyre as it's also very tough in the rough. I've only used them in 750x16 though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Sun, 02 May 2004 13:24:43 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

oops,

700x16's, 205/65, 245/75 on a RR classic.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I've got 235/85 16's on my classic, and I've got the dents on the arches to prove it too!

They wont fit with standard springs I'm afraid.

Reply to
SimonJ

BFG A/T's will see you right! I've experienced a few and i would go with BFG's all the time now, re-enforced side walls too.

Check link out above

Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

On or around 2 May 2004 04:17:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rallyrider.com (ColinS) enlightened us thusly:

How much so you want to spend?

Sister's BF speaks highly of Pirelli Scorpion ST. I've had Scorpion ATs, grip like toffee on a blanket but wear a bit fast.

BFGoodrich AT-KO or Long Trail are pricey but give good mileage.

Michelin Synchrone are excellent road tyres, got 'em on the disco, long lived, good grip and expensive.

Currently I've Nankang Wild Conquerors, on mine, cheaper than all the above, look like they're gogin to do about 22K miles, maybe 24K, grip OK, better than the Pirelli AT in mud.

Nankang also do a thing called "Super Tripper" which is more of an ST-style "80% road" type tyre, no tried these.

as to size: 235/70R16 seems a good bet on classic RR, you can also go for

255/65 I think. anything much taller will need suspension mods, as others have said. 235 will fit OK on wolf rims.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks to all so far for the responses. In answer to some of the questions,

1). The arches are cut. 2). It has a one inch lift. 3). Mileage is not a very high priority, as it isn't and never will be a daily drive. 4) Road handling is pretty important, as when it will be used in anger, it will be driven around 1000 miles each way to and from ports before going over to North Africa (I'm prepping it for some amateur Rally Raids after moving from bikes). 5). Cash is a factor, although tyres are so important that I'd consider top of the range jobs like BFG, even though I have to have two spares as well.

I've got 7.50 x 16 General Super All-Grip 8-ply's on it at the moment which are way too aggressive for sand and handle terribly on tarmac (it wanders like me after eight pints of Guinness...)

Reply to
ColinS

On or around 3 May 2004 10:57:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rallyrider.com (ColinS) enlightened us thusly:

you should get 235/85s on then, or 265/70s if you want extra width. you can always cut more off the arches :-)

Not sure what the Nankang conquerors would be like on sand. They're a fairly open AT type pattern. I've got 'em on my 110 (albeit 31-10.5 size) and they grip pretty well on tarmac. never lost it yet...

mine's a 3.5 V8, so similar to the RR in performance terms, being as it's a RR engine, not a low-compression one.

if you wanted a less-agressive tyre for the sand, then I reckon the Nakang super tripper might suit. The wild conks on mine were about 240 quid for 4, fitted and inc vat, from my local supplier, about a year ago.

have a nice site with pictures of all the treadpatterns and prices, never actually bought from them so can't comment on theservice either way. Handy site for comparing tyres and seeing what sort ofsizes they come in, though - their prices don't seem silly to me either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll keep the list posted on my final choice.

Reply to
ColinS