RR III TD6 29.8 mpg...

with the Air con off today :-) I thought that was rather good given the increase in performance and crusing at around 65mph as well as town and estate running. My wheezer of a VM Rangie propably managed 34mpg at best but was no where near as quick as this one.

With the air con on it returns around 23/24 mpg so it's defo worth flicking it off an opening a window now the two days of summer have passed. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thats bloody good considering the size of the thing!

Reply to
Nige

ISTR that for some cars, it's more efficient to put the aircon on in "recirculate" mode than it is to open a window because the extra drag pulls the MPG down more than the aircon does. Whether that's true of brick-shaped cars or not is another matter ;-)

Was your aircon mostly in recirc mode or not? Might be worth trying again with it sucking up your own farts and feeding them back to you.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If you're aircon is making 7mpg difference, there's something seriously wrong with your aircon!

Reply to
SimonJ

Dr Lee You might be interested in a claim Land Rover are making, I signed on at the website yonks ago in order to download some stuff and since then get allsorts of stuff designed to enviegle me into buying a new 'un (fat chance ducks aspire to be as tight as me ). latest in a line of goodies is the magazine LR Onelife ( its carbon neutral as well ) is a lifestylee sort of thing like the one down the back of the seat in passenger airplanes lots of very well shot pictures with the discrete presence of Lode Lane's finest here and there. Anyhoo I quote "the average fuel consumption of Land Rovers sold in the UK is over 30mpg on the combined fuel cycle." a bold statement without any qualifying rider such as includes mileage on the back of a trailer or excludes all Range Rovers sold before 2005. It's possible with this generation on LR's and a nice thought that economy is not restricted to plastic jap crap that falls apart in 6 years more than negating any carbon saving on fuel. Derek 'Kato' 200Tdi Disco veg oil +ve

Reply to
Derek

My long term mpg is 29.5, best tankful is 31.7 (DII TD5). Can't say I've ever noticed any difference with the aircon on or off. Does have climate control mind, so the compressor only runs when it actually needs to cool the incoming air, which with this lousey summer wasn't very often.

The compressor is permenantly off (econ mode) ATM as there is sod all gas in it. B-) If it gets warm next summer I might get someone to fix it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tried this experiment on Bagheera. Drove from Northampton to Edinburgh with the climate control *off*. Filled it up when I started, got there with

88 miles left in tank. That was not being very light footed, and keeping up with the traffic in the outside lane, and with one or two slight nudges at some sort of limiter (!).

Filled it up again in Edinburgh and went shooting, drove it like I stole it with the climate control back on. Did about 60 miles. Drove back home the next day, climate control on - wanted to get home so was a bit heavy on the old right foot. Arrived back with .... 97 miles in the tank.

So I'm not sure what's going on really. I take it to mean that the 4.2SC runs the aircon like it's not there (with 400bhp on tap I'd bloody hope so at any rate...)

P.S average range for full tank is about 475

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:24:47 +0100, "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

bit less than that in the tranny - I've never run it out, but I think the tank's about 65l. Typically get just under 400 but I fill up with about 50 miles left.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news:9tQQi.20692$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, Derek wibbled :

What is this combined fuel, petrol mixed with liquorice?

Reply to
GbH

My 1997 Audi A4 1.9TDi does 47MPG with aircon on or off, doesn't seem to make any difference! It's odd that there's so much variation. My older Audi 90 Quattro on the other hand suffered terribly if the aircon was put on, you could feel the revs drop as the compressor was turned on and off. No idea how the MPG was affected on that one, never checked it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Er Allsorts? :-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek

475?? bleedin ell.. do you tow a fuel tanker.

This heap of a 4.4 will give me 300miles out of 80quid max.. maybe knocking on 400 if I really drag it out to the fumes on a long stright run...

And I thought it be lighter will all the bits that drop off it..

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well I did the same trip (begining and ends at least) today only via the motorway instead of the dual carriageways (A34 Stoke to Stafford), it managed 33.6 mpg this time, again air con off and not gunning it. Last motorway trip I did with the air con on got 28 odd I recall. Again I'm quite chuffed with this :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just checking; we are talking under its own power and not on a breakdown truck aren't we? I thought perhaps a bulb might have blown, disabling the truck ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I must find put what the bulbs are in the brake lights as I bet a pound to a pich it'll end up stuck for just that reason!

Yeah under it's own steam.( today - assume nothing - appreciate everything!) :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My Ducati only does 36mpg & it's a bike ffs! Mind you, it is blindingly fast at the slowest of times..

The Disco is shocking on fuel now I have shoved the tyres & lift on it. It used to do around 31-33mpg, bet it does 25 now. But, it is nice!

Reply to
Nige

Lol ... dunno ... but it does take over £100 to fill it - so maybe the old beast has a bigger tank?

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Yeah? Defo a bigger tank than.. Run dry I can just about get 85quid in it, unless your filling up at the Watford gap / A.N.Other rip off motorway services??? ;o)

Im must admit to not really taking notice of the trip computer on the phase

1's. Its well out, and will give you good news at the start, progressing into pointless averages long term.

Currently mines stuck on 16.4 and has been for ages, if I leave it for a good 6 months I might get that back up to 17.5 but not much more. Best Ive seen is 18.1 long term.

if I reset it every trip, it gives me a false sence of security..

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy