RR rear door stuck

I have an 86 Range Rover with a stuck rear door. The door became increasingly difficult to open, eventually pulling the opening lever and shouldering the door to get it open. Now it will not open at all, even by the outside handle. Any ideas what might be wrong. Will I be able to get the inner panel off and release the door in some way?

TIA Martin Coombs

Reply to
Martin Coombs

You can usually trip the lock manually by removing the trim panel although removing the panel can be a pain with the door closed.

I'll assume you've checked the obvious things already (like making sure the locking button is all the way up !) so it's prbably just a bit of excess play in the wires to the handles. This is normally made worse by people yanking at them when the door won't open. Once you have the trim off you'll be able to see the wire from the inner handle inside the door and you may well find that you can pull it further than the handle will allow and the door will then open. If this is the case then fixing the problem is simply a case of adjusting the mechanism to reduce any slop either using the threaded adjustment or putting some kinks in the wires.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Excellent, thanks for this, will have ago tomorrow night.

Cheers

Mart> > I have an 86 Range Rover with a stuck rear door. The door became

Reply to
Martin Coombs

I just fixed what sounds like the same prob on my 95 Disco yesterday, the door would NOT open, when pulling up on the handle from the outside it just stayed up, and pulling the lever from the inside would not open it either. I *very carefully* pried the outside lever back to the down position, then gave it a couple of shots of silicone lube on the mechanism where it went in the door and that did the trick, which kind of surprised me as I thought the works were gummed up inside somehow, but I rembered that years ago I used to free the tailgate on my '78 ford truck the same way so I gave it a try.

After I got it open I noticed that the phillips head bolds on the inside that holds the latch were loose, so I tightened them all up, gave everything I could see a good shot of lube and so far it's ok.

hth

Reply to
Glen A Stromquist

there is a rod each side of the lock/handle that runs to the catches on each side of tailgate , this pushes the cath to unlock it on each side . .

behind the button you push to open the tailgate is a plastic pin which pushes a swivelling pivot which makes the rods move .

you may be able to knock off the riveted steel cover plate inside the vehicle thats behind the handle/lock and then you can use a screwdriver to move the pivot so that it releases the catches each side of tailgate top .

the rods run through the channel at bottom of tailgate and are not accessable .

its more than likely that rust inside the holes at the catch ends of the bottom of the tailgate frame wont allow the rods to move and release the cathes and its just bending the rods when you push the release knob in the handle .

the rods PUSH out to release the catches and you cant get at them or release them by prying the actual catches, you may release the catches with a pry bar but i doubt theyll work again .

concentrate on the cover plate behind the handle and then you will access the pivot plate and be able to pry it and then puish the rods to release catches .

lots of WD40 is reqd also .

Reply to
M0bcg

some piccys here.....