RRC Auto box problem?

I have a Range Rover 3.5EFI 1986 auto mainly used for offroading. I think I have a gearbox problem, the car seems very sluggish and seems to change from 1st to top and miss out the middle stages. A real shove will make it kick back down to 1st. When it evenyually goes from first to the next gear it almost feels hesitant as if it is the engine is holding back. I was towing a Suzuki up a slight hill at the weekend and it seemed to go straight into top gear, I was doing about 30mph and it would not change down no matter how hard I kicked the accelerator. Which meant I struggled in top eventually only doing 20mph!! Oil levels in the box seem ok, but when I finally got home it started to make some grinding and graunching noises, does this sound terminal? I tow the same Suzuki with my TD5 and have no problems at all. I must admit the overall performance of the RR is very dissapointing for a V8. The TD5 will easily out perform it although against my friends 3.9 bobtail the TD5 is about level on performance. Could a gearbox fault give this complete lack of performance?

TIA

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

On or around Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:02:50 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Coombs" enlightened us thusly:

'bos sounds iffy. what happens if you use the shifter to put it in 2 or 3?

graunching noises sounds bad an' all. Is your handbrake releasing properly?

could be a T-box problem. is this a 3-speeder or a 4-speeder?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin said < 'bos sounds iffy. what happens if you use the shifter to put it in 2 or

3?>

Moving the shifter does nothing, it will not manually shift

Reply to
Martin Coombs

On or around Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:13:05 GMT, "Martin Coombs" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles