RRC + broken coil spring

I see you've found whats eating your tyres Richard!!. We had a discussion in a field on the south coast a few weeks ago....remember??.

If it was me I would drive the car but get the springs changes ASAP, coz I would imagine springs are cheaper than tyres!

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Have just peered under the old beast while refitting the rear seats and noticed that the N/S/R coil spring is broken about 1 turn up from the axle end. Oh b**********s

Maybe this is why N/S/F and O/S/R tyres are wearing on their outer edges (I hope)?

Anyway, can I drive the beast until I get an answer from Warwick Banks Handling regarding a replacement? It's probable that I have been driving it in this state for quite some time!

Is it likely that they are going to say that I must, in view of the age of the springs, replace an axle set? I'll have to find the paperwork before I can gauge the mileage.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Hi Dom,

Yep, remember it well - especially the smell of that mud.

Last time I bought tyres for it they were Michelin M+S at ~£90 each fitted and balanced.

Paddock sell various springs from around the £11 mark each but these are special progressive rate springs which cost £64 a pair in 1997 - some

70,000 miles ago. I've left a message on WBH's answerphone but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder what I should replace them with if WBH don't play ball :-(

Any suggestions?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:53:56 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

you should always replace in an axle set anyway.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes, I feared that that would be the case.

Wonder if I can fit some standard rate springs in place of the WBH progressive rate jobbies.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:54:22 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

I think john craddock is doing some police spec springs for rrc's a-la-cheap at the moment.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi Mark,

What are spec are 'police spec' springs and do you know how one (rear) axle set of them would behave with anti-roll bars and progressive rate (whatever that means) front springs?

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:08:44 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

they are just heavy duty at the rear as far as I know, set of 4, let me get the comic with the price in................... ........................................... £55.70 from john craddock

or you can get standard ones for £9.60 a corner at the moment on

call them and ask about your anti-roll bars and suchlike, you just want a pair for the rear.

I've used paddockspares before, never had a problem.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

What are spec are 'police spec' springs

----- Genuine 'police spec.' rears are the same rate as standard rears just longer. Ideal for a bit of extra rear end load without upsetting the ride.

David

Reply to
Dougal

Mmm, don't like the 'longer' bit. At present the beast happily passes under the 6' height restrictor (thank you Kent County Council) at my local amenity centre (aka Tip) despite the handbook claiming a height of 6'2" (IIRC). Also I can see over it and I am 6'2" tall. Whether this is as a result of 70,000 miles on the current springs making them sag a bit* or they always gave a lower ride height I don't know. I've never carried an awfull lot in it.

*how does the self levelling unit 'know' when to stop raising the rear end? I understand that it levels the rear more quickly if you travel over bumpy ground because it gets pumped up by the repeated compression of the rear suspension - or that's how I think it works! If it's a manufactured setting how does changing spring length alter the ride height? Does the unit expand until it feels a set resistance from the springs?

I'll give Paddock and WBH a call tomorrow.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Twas Sun, 05 Sep 2004 15:28:37 +0100 when Richard Savage put finger to keyboard producing:

my 110 is a bit saggy and I'm considering a 2" lift when I renew the springs, it has a self leveller and I too am interested to know how it decides how high to pump...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I told a little white lie - there is a piffling rate difference 170 cf

150 lb/in between the police spec NRC4304 and the standard rear NRC2119. The additional length is small - around 0.8 in. It takes about 200 lb of load to lose the effect of the extra length/increased rate. (Don't bother criticising the guesstimate unless you are going to specify the load centre etc.) If you do not normally a carry this extra load you'll get the extra height.

The Boge unit pumps (within its load rating) until it reaches a specified length. The length is determined by the internal design/dimensions of the Boge unit. If you fit long springs such that the Boge unit length exceeds the 'design' length under the loads used it effectively does nothing. With the police case above, the normal additional load balances the longer spring to regain the 'normal' geometry and the Boge unit works as normal.

David

Reply to
Dougal