RRC central locking - help needed this evening

Hi All,

Further to my previous post, i've had the centre console of the Range Rover out to fix the gear selection problem but now the central locking does not work on the "plipper" this would not be a problem normally, but i do not have a key to lock the door, it only works on the remote.

I have had the cubby box, gear lever surround, central console and all that gubbins out and I am guessing that I have disturbed something in there. The Haynes manual is next to useless with regards to electrics so I'm a bit stuffed. I really don't want to leave it unlocked. Or for that matter, lock it using the door buttons, shut the door, and then not be able to open it again.

Any idea where the control unit is for the central locking is, or what might be wrong?

Help! (again)

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

On my RRC I seem to recall relays being under the cubby box. Unscrew the box, pull out upwards and they should be visible there. I could be wrong though. Certainly the gadget that auto up's the windows goes in there, not that mine had this, just that I can remember reading it hereabouts

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Well i thought that too. You assume that when something doesn't work after you've fiddled, then it must have been where you were, er, fiddling, if you know what I mean? But I took it out quickly and everything seemed to be ok. I thought I could only see window ones in there. I will go and take the cubby box out again and go and have another look see...................

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Well, all that's in there is the ECU for the windows as you say. Nothing else though that I can see could contribute to my problem. I always thought that it might have been under the steering wheel to the right? Theres a little black box with a frequency written on it!, but seem to remember that it may be something to do with the stereo also!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah lots there, rear wiper relay too amoungst others.

Also a group of relays on the passengers side on the left footwell, you may need to remove the rubber door seal to remove the plastic coverbelow the glove box area.

My best guess would be in the area you suspect. I'd only imagine owt with frequency being on Jap imports for car radios as there radio frequencys are off the scale in the UK.

I'll go did out the Workshop manual from the very cold garage... brb.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Here you go...

Lee_D

So, excuse my dullness, i'm assuming that this is under the steering wheel somewhere? Or is this the passenger side?

Reply to
Dave R

Much appreciated, I've got the RAVE manual for a '95 on CD but I can't make head nor tail of it, I will go outside again to have another look

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

OK, Bizarre, but it seems to have come out of it's "sulk" now and seems to be working fine. At first it only worked when you held the key up to the windscreen, and after going out again works at a normal distance. How odd. Thanks for the sheet out of the manual though. If you take out the little oddments tray to the right of the steering wheel where the radio was in days of old, the ECU for it is right behind there with "418Hz" written on it. Thanks for that. I do wonder though if this little ECU has an antenna built on or whether there is an external one? Who knows.

However, what I do know is that I will be buying a spare battery for the fob tomorrow and then fitting the new door barrel and key that I bought ages ago and haven't fitted.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working for the time being!

Cheers Lee for your stalwart efforts, i'll bring you some tinnies for the next unnoficial AFL meeting.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No probs, one of the leads that the immage shows is the anntenna. You could try bouncing the signal off your head if you have any more problems.... no I'm not kidding.... pointing the plip at your head , like point blank increases the range humougously of the plipper. I can't comment on what it may do to your brains though :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Well it can't make 'em any worse!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

...and Dave R spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Make *what* any worse?

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

me brains!

Reply to
Dave R

...and Dave R spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

*what* brains??? Last time I looked in your ear all I could see was a S2 parts catalogue and a load of spare Disco parts.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

well at least that would explain the noise.....................

Reply to
Dave R