RRC Running slightly rough plus very hot exhaust pipe

I was driving my 1986 Range Rover classic 3.5EFI the other night on a 15 mile journey, about half way it seemed to be losing a bit of power and started to misfire a bit. This got worse as the journey continued until eventually it was running on what seemed like 2 cylinders. Managed to get it to my parents house and leave it there. Went back today, checked and pushed all ignition leads, oil was ok, water was clear so no gasket leak. Started it up, ran sweet as a nut. Went for a drive and noticed on initial acceleration would run ok, then hold back and then go again. As time went on the tickover got a little lumpy. Checked exhaust for emmissions, but seemed clean, but I did notice the exhaust gas was very very hot and would give you a nasty burn if you left your hand there. The tail pipe was extremely hot and dropping water on it it fizzled and evaporated away! I don't ever remember any other car being this hot. Could this be an ignition timing issue, or has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA

Martin Coombs

Reply to
Martin Coombs

Check the coil when the misfiring occurs. Is it hot or merely warm? If it's hot then the coil's dead.

Reply to
PDannyD

could be ignition if its too far out, the distributor hasnt moved has it? also, very hot exhaust could indicate a weak mixture, i had it on a V8 90 where the manifolds were glowing bight red. maybe a fuel blockage? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Richard

Spoke to someone the other day who also suggested weak mixture/timing, so have booked the Rangie in next weak to be put on computer and checked out. Fingers crossed it will not be too expensive.

Martin

suggestions?

Reply to
Martin Coombs

Martin Coombs wrote in

You may have elimiateed it already but it is possible to get similar symptoms from a weak/broken exhaust valve spring. The valve dosn't close properly so that cylinder loses compression - hence the slightly rough - and combustion occurs in the manifold - hence very hot exhaust pipe.

Reply to
PeterMcC