Rubber rope for canvas tie-down?

Wotcher.

I'm looking for rubber rope for tying down canvas tops, not the cheap "shock chord" that you can get from the DIY shops, but proper black rubber rope. Also clamps for use when making eyelets in it. Anyone got any sources for the stuff?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Click away and you'll get to a catalogue, dunno if it's what your looking for... I find it leaves less marks ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

It *might* be what I want, all I get is a white background, a title, two pictures, a google search box and nothing whatsoever that reacts to mouse clicks :-(

I'll assume it's a windows-only site and will peruse it when I'm next near one of the dratted things.

Cheers in advance!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

OK the links lead here, can you see this page?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah, cheers for that. I'll give them a bell, but I get the feeling I'll only be able to buy in large-ish quantities as they appear to be a trade supplier. Not sure if their rubber chord is what I'll need, it appears to be intended as the raw material for O-rings and other tubular rubber products but no harm in asking. Cheers for the link.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Isn't Silex's stuff all silicone ? You COULD buy butyl 'O' ring material from the likes of BSL if you get stuck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ian Rawlings came up with the following;:

I have about 400metres of decent shock cord ... used by my late father to lauch radio controlled airplanes. You're welcome to a few yards worth, I find it pretty good for load tarp securing etc. If you want some email me, my reply address is mine and is live, but post to say you've mailed as I never use it 'properly'.

For eyelets and stuff have a look in any decent camping supplier, they all supply eyelet kits of various types. I find the brass ones, normally supplied with stamps etc are the best.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Cheers Paul, I'm not after what I know as shock cord, which appears to be nylon webbing around an elastic core. I think Land Rover used what I'm after to secure the canvas on later military soft-tops, rubber rope that is fed through the eyelets on the canvas and just quickly hooked around matching hooks on either another piece of canvas or the bodywork.

Eyelets in canvas aren't what I mean, sorry if it's not that plain, hard to explain in text on a hot day! I mean clamps used to join the rubber cord, including when you fold it back on itself to make an eyelet in the cord itself (to attach to a hook).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Like a staple kind of thing?

Reply to
Lee_D

The links on there at the moment are like a piece of metal folded in half with curved sections cut in it to match the rope, when you look at it from the front it looks a bit like this;

=O=O=

So it holds the rope which is fed throught the loops, rather than spearing it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not quite what you specified - but I put some almost bungee cord type rope in the ragtop on the 2A about 3 years ago and its still working fine, its not perished like cheapo bungees do.

I got it from my local outdoor/climbing shop who sell it by the meter. It isnt very expensive. They have a big selection of rope and various elasticaed stuffs.

Reply to
Tom Woods