Rust !!

It doesn't do, to go poking around with a screwdriver does it?

The back doors of my series 3 are in a bit of a state. It seems the previos owner decided to repair the frames by making a channel out of fibreglass, and underneath the original has rotted away completely. I guess it is the same on the other side as well but I think for the moment I will leave that one as it is.

How common is this sort of repair, and does it really matter so long as the door shuts properly ?

The front doors have rust as well and the corners of the frames have been similarly repaired.

There also appears to be filler at the top of the bulkhead.

As for me I prefer to have any rust spots exposed where I can keep an eye on them, I prefer to slap on some hammerite and hope for the best, using duck tape to keep the water out.

One door pillar is also badly rusted at the bottom but this is going to be welded.

I have been advised that one way to repair holes in other places is to simply pop rivet a piece of aluminium over them.

I think a few patches will probably add character.

Reply to
Larry

Oh I don't know - it adds to the excitement :-)

Very common - however the only thing you really need to worry about is whether there is any sharp bits sticking out - or any bits of chassis which are near things like suspension mounts which are rusty.

Usual rot.

The bulkhead is pretty much infamous for rust. Patching it up is a job you'll do for a few years then go off to get a replacement for a hundred quid or so.

I'm actually quite heartened to see just how quickly you have become a seasoned Land Rover owner :-)

Replace the whole pillar. It's easy to do and far, far better than patching a bit of it.

This - provided there are no sharp sticky-outy bits, is a perfectly reasonable option and yes, it both adds character and keeps others away from you at junctions :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Bruce's Uncle Nev bought a Saab about 20-25 years ago, and as its got older, and the rust holes have appeared, and not wanting to buy another car, or pay for parts etc, has pop riveted aluminium panels over the rust holes. It looks a bit like a patchwork quilt. Needless to say his wife refuses to get in it and has bought her own car.

Reply to
Nikki