S111 2 1/4 engine 'popping' on deceleration

yep, its either timing or worn points,

some one will be here shortly to tell you what to do, ill just get myself a drink and wait in the corner.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I had the same problem with mine. I noticed that with a quick tap of the throttle it stopped for a few seconds. I increased the idle speed slightly as it was a bit low anyway and all is now fine.

I don't know if I have cured the problem or the symptoms but it worked for me.

S3 109 Petrol

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Seconded. Most likely on the flange connection, but just maybe on the head-manifold gasket. Try dropping the front pipe of the manifold and resealing it with a new gasket first.

Reply to
EMB

on the overun making the popping. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Hi all,

Just returned from holiday towing a trailer tent for the first time. S111,

21/4 petrol ( 3 bearing), great surfing in Wales :-)

When going down hill the engine started 'popping'. Only happens on deceleration and engine breaking. Never noticed this on local running (ie without the trailer). Seemed to be from the engine rather than the baxk end of the exhaust.

Is this due to incorrect timing ? What should I do, advance the timing ??

Otherwise all well - 23.6 MPG !!!

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Diogenes

Cheers Guys!

My S3 has been popping on over-run since I did an engine swap last weekend. I assumed it was a timing advance/retard problem with the replacement dissi', but couldn't find anything wrong. I'll try re-sealing the down pipe onto the manifold and see if that stops the noise.

Thanks again,

Neil.

Reply to
N.R.Fisher

As a general rule of thumb it would be timing/air/fuel in any combination. Have you strobed it up? and is the auto advance/retard springs ok? and weights working correctly? contact plate not seated correctly? No air leaks and or fuel getting through on the overrun? air/fuel mixture correct? asuming you've checked all else. Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

manifold and works ok now problem was the exhaust to manifold joint one of the bolts had snapped .

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

its running lean. richen up the idle mixture

Reply to
M0bcg