S2 disco , lock stop adjustment - Help needed.

Hello All,

I have just traded in the old girl (S1 disco tdi n reg) for a new girl (S2 disco td5 03 plate...shiney!)

The steering lock is a pain in the neck requiring to do frequent 5 and 6 point turns where 3 should do.

I now the wheelbase is a little longer but the difference is massive.

Is there an adjustment I can make which will improve the trurning circle to less than that of a supertanker.

All help gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Martin

S2 td5 disco

Reply to
Home user

Home user uttered summat worrerz funny about:

H'mm interesting point you raise there. When I come to replace Our '97 Disco in a few years one of the few things in favour of the Landie products was the lock (we tow a caravan quite alot). My current yen is for a L200 or Navarna style pick-up having been most impressed with Tims on our last green lane day, though to be fair the seed had been set well before then.

Seems I'm running out of excuses unless Landrover come up with something similar PDQ as I won't be buying a brand new one. Theres also a big difference in the price tag too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

We had an L200 for a few months this time last year. It was the diesel crewcab jobby. We did a run from here (chatham) to raunds and back with the horsebox on, and it wasnt that fab to be honest. I didn't like the driving position (being a shortarse at 6'4) and couldnt find a comfy compromise anywhere.

And for a diesel, the fuel economy was worse than the v8 auto disco!

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

|| Hello All, || || I have just traded in the old girl (S1 disco tdi n reg) for a new || girl (S2 disco td5 03 plate...shiney!) || || The steering lock is a pain in the neck requiring to do frequent 5 || and 6 point turns where 3 should do. || || I now the wheelbase is a little longer but the difference is massive. || || Is there an adjustment I can make which will improve the trurning || circle to less than that of a supertanker. || || All help gratefully accepted. || || Thanks || || Martin || || S2 td5 disco

Can't give you a clear answer, but:

I had a 2001MY Td5 manual and the lock was truly awful. I even took it back to the dealer (it was bought s/h at 18 months old and 6K miles) for him to check. He told me it was as the factory intended, and that they are built that way to prevent numpties from applying too much lock at speed and flipping it over. Yeah right. AIUI the restriction is in the steering box and you can't just wind in the lock stops as you can with an older LR. However, there is a false limit built into the box, and if you turn the wheel to full lock there should be another 1/4 turn of the wheel available if you turn it a bit harder. This was true, but the lock was still pathetic - one of the reasons I got rid, to be honest, as I was sick of scraping the far wall on the entry to my drive, which a 90, RRC and P38 could do with ease (it's a >90deg turn). Getting it into a supermarket parking space was a major enterprise.

However - this year I got another 2001 Td5 (auto this time - ???) and it's fine. The turning circle is worse than the other LRs I have had, but liveable with. Parks easily, and no issues with losing paint on the wall. This one had 70K on when I got it. Perhaps they free off with mileage? Perhaps they had a batch of a different spec? I don't know, but I'm sure not imagining the difference. So I'm not sure I can help, except to suggest a trip to a main dealer for a check, and perhaps an off-the-record chat to a mechanic wot knows?

Reply to
Richard Brookman